Welland Canal National Historic Event
© Parks Canada/Parcs Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Research Report Number:
Completed 1829-33, linked Lake Erie - Lake Ontario, reconstructed in 1841
Existing plaque: near the Bridge at Allanburg Thorold, Ontario
Near this spot on 30th November, 1824, the first sod of the old Welland Canal was cut by George Keefer, President of the Welland Canal Company, in the presence of William Hamilton Merritt, chief promoter of the enterprise and about 200 other persons. This great work, connecting Lake Erie and Ontario for ship navigation, was planned and carried out by a private company.