Landing of John Guy National Historic Event

Cupids, Newfoundland and Labrador
View of the HSMBC plaque (© Parks Canada / Parcs Canada, 1951)
HSMBC plaque
(© Parks Canada / Parcs Canada, 1951)
Address : Cupids, Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Statute: Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Designation Date: 1952-05-27

Other Name(s):
  • Landing of John Guy  (Designation Name)
  • John Guy  (Plaque name)
Research Report Number: 2003-57

Importance: Landing marked the first chartered settlement in Newfoundland by the Governor of first English colony in Newfoundland


Existing plaque:  Cupids, Newfoundland and Labrador

A strong promoter of settlement in Newfoundland, John Guy was governor of Canada's first officially sanctioned English colony, founded here at Cupids (originally Cuper's Cove) by the London and Bristol Company in 1610. Guy lived here intermittently until about 1614, and explored Trinity Bay, establishing contacts with the Beothuks. On returning to England he was elected Mayor of Bristol and later Member of Parliament. In the quarrels of the times he warmly supported the colonists against their rivals, the seasonal fishermen, who were championed by West Country merchants. He died in 1629.