Former Bowmanville Boys Training School/Camp 30 National Historic Site of Canada
© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, Michelle Cinnani.
2020 Lambs Road, Bowmanville, Ontario
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1924 to 1940
1925 to 1925
1920 to 1924
Former Bowmanville Boys Training School/Camp 30
Bowmanville Boys Training School
Ontario Boys Training School
Research Report Number:
Elements contributing to the heritage value of this site include: the intactness of the landscape including surface imprints and subsurface components associated with Bowmanville Boys Training School and with Camp 30; the complex of six buildings laid out in a campus-style plan beside an oval-shaped ring road, the sixth and largest building being just outside the perimeter road; the manner in which the buildings are visually and functionally interconnected by a network of paved pathways; the Prairie-Style of the buildings, with masonry construction, brick and stucco exteriors and asbestos-shingle roofs; the modern sensibility of the buildings expressed through open plans, the fragmented volumes, the natural materials, their horizontality, their geometric ornamentation and their flat roofs; the integrity of any surviving archaeological remains and features that relate to the site’s use as a prisoner of war camp during the period from 1941 to 1945; the viewplanes betwenn the buildings.
The Former Bowmanville Boys Training School/Camp 30 is of historical significance because: when it opened in the mid-1920s, the Bowmanville Boys School was widely considered the most progressive institution of its kind in Canada. A rare example of Prairie School architecture in Canada, Bowmanville’s modern architecture, campus style plan, professional staff, open, semi-domestic environment, and broad educational programme for boys aged 8-14, placed it at the head of the youth reform movement; during the Second World War, the school was adapted to serve as an internment camp, known as Camp 30, for German prisoners of war captured by the Allies. Its principal buildings, used from 1941 to 1945 for internment, remain at the site although guard towers, fencing and temporary barracks were dismantled after the war when the camp was turned back into a school. Camp 30 was the site of a small but infamous riot popularly known as the Battle of Bowmanville.