Canadian Pacific Railway Station
Heritage Railway Station of Canada
Field, British Columbia
(© Parks Canada / Parcs Canada (Harold Kalman).)
Field, British Columbia
Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. 52 (4th Supp.))
1953 to 1954
Research Report Number:
Description of Historic Place
The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) Station at Field is a small, International-style railway station, built in 1953-54. It is located in Yoho National Park, at the foot of the Big Hill up to Kicking Horse Pass. The formal recognition is confined to the railway station building itself.
The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) Station at Field was built as part of the company's aggressive post-war modernization program, which included conversion to diesel power, purchase of new rolling stock, and introduction of the new 'Canadian' passenger service. The railway station is the most significant visual link to Field's role as a division point, crew change site and locomotive service centre for the 'pusher' locomotives that provided service through Kicking Horse Pass.
The Field railway station is an excellent example of a small station designed in the International style. Its exterior finishing materials render the building compatible with its Yoho National Park setting.
The Field station is one of the few remaining buildings in the once-major railway complex located at Field. It retains its relationship with the surviving tracks to the south, the water tower to the southeast, the telegraph building and the CPR train crew resthouse.
Sources: Heritage Character Statement, Canadian Pacific Railway Station, March 26, 1996; Harold Kalman and Meg Stanley, Railway Station Report 264, Canadian Pacific Railway Station, Field, British Columbia.
Character-defining elements of the Canadian Pacific Railway Station at Field include: its International style, evident in its strong horizontal proportions, carefully placed vertical masses and vertical lines, resulting in a precisely delineated and balanced geometric composition; its strong, horizontal character, created by a low, long massing, flat roof with deep projecting eaves, flat walls horizontally divided by cladding materials; horizontally divided windows, and the long, narrow cut of individual stones in its stone cladding; vertical elements which bring balance to the horizontal emphasis, including a chimney which cuts across the plan and elevation of the building, and the projecting operator's bay, the two heights of the horizontal stone base, and the varied window-sill height; surviving original exterior cladding, including local Rundle stone and bevelled cedar siding; surviving original wood windows and doors; surviving remnants of the historic plan, with waiting room, lunch room and other passenger facilities located at one end, baggage and express rooms at the other end, and the agent's office and administrative offices in the centre; surviving original interior finishes and fixtures, including: battened, grained plywood, checkerboard floor tiles, acoustic tile ceilings, recessed fluorescent lighting, formica counter tops, tongue-and-groove, 'V'-joint boarding in the baggage room and double-sided benches.