Dryad Point Lighthouse
Central Coast, British Columbia
(© Kraig Anderson - lighthousefriends.com)
Campbell Island, Central Coast, British Columbia
Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act (S.C. 2008, c 16)
1919 to 1919
1899 to 1899
Turn Point Lighthouse
Description of Historic Place
The Dryad Point Lighthouse is a square-tapered, reinforced concrete tower that measures 7.3 metres (24 feet) in height. Built in 1919, it replaced the original combined lighthouse and dwelling. The lighthouse is located on Dryad Point on the northeast end of Campbell Island, three kilometres from the village of Bella Bella.
There are 10 related buildings on the site that contribute to the heritage character of the lighthouse: (1) the 1962 Four Bedroom Senior Dwelling; (2) the 1981 Three Bedroom Junior Dwelling; (3) the 1978 Storage Building #1; (4) the 1975 Engine Building; (5) the 2004 Bulk Fuel Storage System; (6) the Satellite Equipment Shed; (7) the Solar Equipment Shed; (8) the Seismic Monitoring Shed; (9) the Principal Keeper’s Greenhouse; and, (10) the Assistant Keeper’s Greenhouse.
The Dryad Point Lighthouse is a heritage lighthouse because of its historical, architectural, and community values.
The Dryad Point Lighthouse is a very good example of the expansion of the system of navigation aids along the coast of British Columbia. It is a coastal and range light that marks the northern entrance to Main Passage and Seaforth Channel, guiding mariners in a safe path around a potentially hazardous tight turn and low-lying lands. The Dryad Point lighthouse also provides a very good illustration of the lightkeeper’s story. The lightstation has always been maintained by a lightkeeper since its establishment in 1899. One of the early lightkeepers was Captain Carpenter, a high-ranking leader for the Heiltsuk (formerly Bella Bella) First Nation.
The Dryad Point Lighthouse facilitated the safe operation of marine activities along the northern coast of British Columbia, particularly after the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush. It supported the economic development of the neighbouring villages by guiding mariners safely at the junction of Seaforth Channel and Lama Passage.
The Dryad Point Lighthouse is a very good example of a square-tapered, reinforced concrete lighttower. The lighthouse displays a simple, but distinctive and well-proportioned traditional design that is often found on harbour piers and breakwaters.
The Dryad Point Lighthouse is reflective of the Department of Marine and Fisheries experimentation with reinforced concrete, which promised solid, durable, low-maintenance structures capable of supporting the heavy new dioptric lights that were being introduced into Canadian lighthouses at the turn of the twentieth century. The lighthouse has withstood over a century of harsh weather conditions, a tribute to its materials, craftsmanship and maintenance.
Situated at the water’s edge and surrounded by lawns, vegetable gardens, and lush vegetation of deciduous and coniferous trees, the Dryad Point Lighthouse and its ancillary buildings establish the maritime character of the area. It is a self-sufficient picturesque lightstation with beautiful scenery.
Given its prominent location along several ferry and cruise ship routes, the Dryad Point Lighthouse is a recognized landmark among boaters, tourists, fishermen, and artists who frequent the area. During the recreational season, the area is often visited by kayakers, boaters, yachters as well as newcomers to Bella Bella.
Ten related buildings, as listed in section 1, contribute to the heritage character of the lighthouse.
The following character-defining elements of the Dryad Point Lighthouse should be respected:
— its location on the northeast end of Campbell Island;
— its intact, as-built structural form, height, profile, and proportions based on the design of a square, tapered, reinforced-concrete lighthouse;
— its flared cornice supporting a square gallery and metal railing;
— the octagonal iron lantern, capped by a conical roof;
— its square concrete base and steps leading to the door;
— the doorway, set above the base in the shaft of the tower;
— the two vertically oriented windows that appear on the waterside and on one side elevation;
— the projecting surrounds and simple, shallow pediments featured on all openings;
— its interior layout, with single room and steel interior stairway leading to a small hatch that connects to the lantern room, and the low door that connects the lantern room to the outside gallery;
— its traditional colour scheme, consisting of white for the tower and red for the lantern; and,
— its visual prominence in relation to the water and landscape.
The following character-defining elements of the related buildings should be respected:
— their respective built forms, profiles, and proportions;
— their traditional red and white exterior colour schemes (where applicable);
— their contextual relationships to the lighthouse within an historic lightstation setting.