Recognized Federal Heritage Building
© Canadian Coast Guard / Garde côtière canadienne.
Killarney Northwest Rear Range, Killarney, Ontario
Treasury Board Policy on Management of Real Property
1909 to 1909
Event, Person, Organization:
Dominion Department of Marine
Killarney Northwest Light
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
FHBRO Report Reference:
Description of Historic Place
The Lighthouse, also known as the Killarney Northwest Light, is set on an isolated rock outcrop at the west end of Partridge Island. The sturdy, square-tapered, wooden tower with a projecting gallery supports a polygonal lantern. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Lighthouse is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Lighthouse is associated with the provision of navigational aids to improve maritime safety around the small commercial fishing port of Killarney. It was one of a series of towers constructed to help the shipping and fishing industries in Georgian Bay, the North Channel, and beyond.
The Lighthouse exhibits the very good aesthetic qualities sometimes associated with square-tapered wooden lighthouse design such as the elegant curved cornice, and prominent gallery. The simple design is of wood construction that exhibits very good craftsmanship and materials.
The Lighthouse maintains an unchanged relationship to its site, reinforces the character of its natural setting on Partridge Island and is a well-known landmark in the region.
Sources: Killarney Northwest Light tower, Partridge Island, Killarney, Ontario, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report Notes 99-147; Killarney Northwest Light tower, Partridge Island, Killarney, Ontario, Heritage Character Statement 99-147.
The following character-defining elements of the Lighthouse at Killarney Northwest should be respected.
Its functional design and very good quality materials and craftsmanship, for example: the two-storey, square-tapered mass; the ‘pepperpot’ profile with prominent lantern and elegant curved cornice; the symmetrical location and architrave mouldings of the doors and windows; the high level of materials and craftsmanship employed for the cast-iron polygonal lantern, exterior wood siding and interior joinery.
The manner in which the Lighthouse maintains an unchanged relationship to its site, reinforces the present character of its maritime setting and is a familiar local landmark, as evidenced by: its ongoing relationship to the isolated rock outcrop; the design and form of the lighthouse, which complement the natural setting; the high visibility of the lighthouse and its familiarity as a landmark to passing commercial marine traffic and fishing vessels.
Heritage Character Statement
The heritage character statement was developed by FHBRO to explain the reasons for the designation of a federal heritage building and what it is about the building that makes it significant (the heritage character). It is a key reference document for anyone involved in planning interventions to federal heritage buildings and is used by FHBRO in their review of interventions.
The Killarney Northwest Lighttower was constructed in 1909 by the Dominion Department of Marine. The Canadian Coast Guard is the custodian. See FHBRO Building Report 99-147.
Reasons for Designation
The Killarney Northwest Lighttower has been designated Recognized because of its historical associations, its architectural significance and for its contribution to the character of its environment.
The construction of the Killarney Northwest Lighttower reflects the need for navigational aids to support the small commercial fishing port of Killarney.
The Lighttower replicates the original well proportioned and detailed design of the 1866 lighttower which it replaced. The very high level of craftsmanship and materials used for its construction is evidenced in its excellent condition.
As a prominent feature in the community, the Lighttower contributes significantly to the marine character of its setting which has remained essentially unchanged since its construction.
Character Defining Elements
The heritage character of the Killarney Northwest Lighttower resides in its architectural design as an inland harbour light, as seen in:
' its two-storey tapered, squared mass;
' the 'pepperpot' profile with prominent lantern and elegant curved cornice which contribute to its sturdy and durable appearance;
' the symmetrical location and architrave mouldings of the doors and windows;
' the high level of materials and craftsmanship employed for the cast-iron polygonal lantern, exterior wood siding and interior joinery, and
' the lighttower's siting on an isolated rock outcrop, contributes to its prominent appearance.