Carpenter's Shop #98
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
© Agence Parcs Canada / Parks Canada Agency
Central Experimental Farm National Historic Site, Ottawa, Ontario
Treasury Board Policy on Management of Real Property
1889 to 1990
Event, Person, Organization:
Department of Public Works
CEF Building 98
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
FHBRO Report Reference:
Description of Historic Place
The Carpenter’s Shop, also known as Building 98, is a one-and-a-half storey, wood frame building located west of the Main Dairy Barn at the Central Experimental Farm (CEF) in Ottawa. The utilitarian building features board and batten siding, shingled side walls on the upper storey, prominent gables, and a broad, hipped, shingled roof. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Carpenter’s Shop is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Carpenter’s Shop is associated with the Department of Agriculture’s role in promoting agricultural reform in the 19th century. Relocated from its original site near the Main Barn, the building demonstrates the conscious decision by the Department of Agriculture to create a distinctive architectural theme among the early farm buildings. Its conversion from an implement and harness shed to a carpentry shop also illustrates the changing role of the CEF from a model farm to a research institution. As such, the building is associated with the development of the Canadian Experimental Farm’s distinctive cultural landscape.
The Carpenter’s Shop is valued for its good aesthetic qualities. The utilitarian structure was designed to conform to the Shingle style used in the design of residences, barns and outbuildings at the CEF in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A large number of windows on the ground floor are in keeping with the building’s function as a workshop. The standard heavy timber construction methods, such as mortice and tenon joinery, the board and batten and shingled walls are evidence of the very good craftsmanship and the appropriate use of materials for this type of building.
The Carpenter’s Shop reinforces the agricultural character of its experimental farm setting and is a familiar building within the immediate area.
Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office, Building Report, SCR 97-035; Heritage Character Statement, 97-035.
The character-defining elements of the Carpenter’s Shop should be respected.
Its good Shingle style design, good functional design and very good materials and
craftsmanship, for example: the one-and-a-half storey massing incorporating prominent gabled dormers and a broad hipped, shingled roof; the standard heavy timber construction using mortice and tenon joinery; the board and batten siding and shingled walls on the second storey; the large number of multi-lite casement windows; the high ceilings, loading door and large open interior space.
The manner in which the Carpenter’s Shop reinforces the agricultural character of its experimental farm setting and is a neighbourhood landmark, as evidenced by: its distinct Shingle style design and materials, which are consistent with CEF buildings of the late 19th and early 20th centuries; its role as part of a group of research and farm support buildings located west of the farm’s Main Dairy Barn, which makes it a familiar building to visitors and employees.
Heritage Character Statement
The heritage character statement was developed by FHBRO to explain the reasons for the designation of a federal heritage building and what it is about the building that makes it significant (the heritage character). It is a key reference document for anyone involved in planning interventions to federal heritage buildings and is used by FHBRO in their review of interventions.
Building #98 was constructed in 1889-90 as an implement and harness shed for the newly established Central Experimental Farm (CEF). The plans were prepared by the Federal Department of Public Works. The building was moved to its present location within the CEF and set on a new concrete slab floor, around 1929. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is the custodian. The west wing of the building is used as a carpenter's shop while the east wing is used by the grounds crew. The structure is a Level 1 cultural resource located within the core of the Central Experimental Farm National Historic Site.
Reasons for Designation
Building #98 has been designated 'Recognized' because of its historical, architectural and environmental significance:
Building #98 is closely associated with two nationally significant themes: the Department of Agriculture's role in promoting agricultural reform in the 19th century and the CEF's distinctive cultural landscape. Relocated from its original site near the Main Barn, it demonstrates the conscious decision by the Department of Agriculture to create a distinctive architectural theme among the early farm buildings. Its conversion from a implement and harness shed to a carpentry shop also illustrates the changing role of the CEF from a model farm to a research institution.
Building #98 is a utilitarian, but appealing, structure designed to conform to the Shingle style used in the design of residence, barns and outbuildings on the CEF in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It features board and batten siding, shingled side walls on the second storey, prominent gables, multi-lite casement windows and a broad, hipped, shingled roof. It has been well maintained.
Standard heavy timber construction methods, such as mortice and tenon joinery, were employed in the building of the structure and the materials were carefully chosen. A large number of windows were provided on the ground floor in keeping with its function as a workshop.
Since c 1929, Building #98 has been located about 200 metres west of the main dairy barn within a grouping of research and farm support buildings.
The heritage character of Building #98 resides in the following character-defining elements:
' The high ceilings, large windows, loading door and large open space of Building #98 which reflect its original function as a workshop and storage area for farm implements.
' Its board and batten siding, shingled walls, prominent gables, multi-lite casement windows and a broad, hipped, shingled roof which tie it to the Shingle Style as interpreted in the design of CEF buildings in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
All maintenance and repair work, as well as future interventions, should aim to respect these character-defining elements.