Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Langara Island, British Columbia
© Canadian Coast Guard / Garde côtière canadienne, 1994
Langara Point Lightstation, Langara Island, British Columbia
Treasury Board Policy on Management of Real Property
1913 to 1913
Event, Person, Organization:
Department of Marine and Fisheries
Point Langara Lighttower
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
FHBRO Report Reference:
Description of Historic Place
The Langara Island Lighttower is a tapered hexagonal tower situated on the edge of a cliff, with a prominent well-proportioned lantern. Its simple form is enhanced by its monolithic, smooth-surfaced concrete construction. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building
The Langara Island Lighttower is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Langara Island Lighttower is illustrative of campaigns to provide aids to navigation on the west coast of Canada. The tower is associated with the growth of trans-oceanic traffic to Prince Rupert.
The Langara Island Lighttower is a very good example of a functional lighttower design. The proportions of the medium-height, hexagonal structure contributes to its modern silhouette. It exhibits good quality craftsmanship and materials.
The Environmental Value
The Langara Island Lighttower is compatible with its maritime setting on Langara Island. It maintains an unchanged relationship to its modest, cleared site. It is a familiar landmark for commercial marine traffic of the area.
Source: Lighttower, Langara Island, British Columbia, Heritage Character Statement, 96-087.
The following character-defining elements of the Lighttower should be respected:
Its very good functional design, craftsmanship and materials, for example: the medium-height, tapered hexagonal design; the smooth-surfaced concrete construction; the cylindrical metal lantern with its domed ventilator and weathervane; the simplicity of the scale and proportions of the brackets and edge profile of the lantern
deck; the simple formed openings for the windows and pedimented door; the structural system; the circular form of the guardrail that reflects the lantern shape.
The manner in which the Langara Island Lighttower is compatible with the character of its maritime setting on Langara Island and is a familiar landmark for commercial marine traffic as evidenced by: its unchanged relationship to its modest cleared site; its visual prominence on the cliff edge.
Heritage Character Statement
The heritage character statement was developed by FHBRO to explain the reasons for the designation of a federal heritage building and what it is about the building that makes it significant (the heritage character). It is a key reference document for anyone involved in planning interventions to federal heritage buildings and is used by FHBRO in their review of interventions.
The lighttower at Langara Point was constructed in 1913. The design was prepared by Colonel Anderson with the Department of Marine and Fisheries. The building is currently a fully automated lighttower. The Canadian Coast Guard is the custodian. See FHBRO Building Report 96-087.
Reasons for Designation
The lighttower is designated Recognized for its architectural importance and its environmental significance as well as for its historical associations.
The balanced proportions of the tapered hexagonal tower contribute to its sturdy, modern appearance. The lighttower has an attractive profile because of the symmetrical arrangement of windows and the pedimented door heads, as well as the rhythm of the brackets supporting the lantern gallery. The prominent, well-proportioned lantern contributes to the characteristic lighttower profile. The existing 1st Order dioptic apparatus was state-of-the-art for 1913, and the clockwork mechanism is still in place.
Situated on the edge of an island cliff, the lighttower is a character-defining element in its maritime setting and a familiar landmark for commercial marine traffic.
The lighttower construction is illustrative of campaigns to provide aids to navigation on the west coast of Canada. The tower is associated with the growth of trans-oceanic traffic to Prince Rupert.
Character Defining Elements
The heritage character of the Langara Point lighttower resides in its overall massing, profile, architectural features, construction materials, and site relationships.
The proportions of the medium-height, hexagonal structure contribute to its modern silhouette. The cylindrical metal lantern with its domed ventilator and weathervane is well-proportioned to the scale of the tower and this relationship should be respected. The symmetrical massing and profile, including the relationship of lantern to tower shaft, should be respected.
The simple form of the lighttower is enhanced by the monolithic, smooth-surfaced concrete construction. The design relies on the simplicity of the scale and proportions of the brackets and edge profile of the lantern deck for its modern design character. The simple formed openings for the windows and the projecting, pedimented door hood add visual contrast to the simple tower form. The structural system and materials are integral to the character of the tower and should be respected.
Painted steel is used for the lantern railings which have an elaborate post profile and joint construction reflecting the functional utility of early lighttower components. The circular form of the guardrail reflects the lantern shape. The paint scheme, which provides contrast between the white tower and the metal elements, is a striking feature contributing to the lighttower character and if operationally appropriate should be maintained.
The multi-paned metal sash windows appear to reflect original design intentions and should be maintained.
The modest, cleared site reflects the functional nature of the lighttower operation and should be respected.