Information for Harvesters in Terra Nova National Park
Parks Canada is seeking the help of qualified harvesters to participate in a pilot program to reduce unnaturally high moose populations in Terra Nova National Park. A Moose Management Area (MMA) has been established in the park.
Ninety (90) licences will be available in Terra Nova. An additional thirty (30) licenses will be available for not-for-profit organizations.
To participate in the moose reduction program, please fill out your application for the provincial licence as normal. For the purpose of the licensing draw and pool status, MMA 28A will be treated the same as all others and provincial licensing fees will be the same. When participating in this program, harvesters must carry their provincial big game licence, tags, and outdoor identification card—all of which are required under provincial regulations. You must also be in possession of a Parks Canada Superintendent’s permit, which will be mailed with the tags.
Applications for these licenses will be accepted only from incorporated, not-for-profit or registered charitable organizations operating in Newfoundland and Labrador. There is no fee associated with an application for this type of license.
Organizations that are issued a not-for-profit license may then designate up to two (2) qualified big game harvester to hunt on their behalf. This designation does not affect the eligibility of the chosen big game harvesters for a regular license.
For more information, please contact your nearest Wildlife Division Office or download the application form from the Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Environment and Conservation website.
Before applying for a national park licence, you should be aware that there are differences between provincial hunting regulations and what is permissible in the national parks as part of this ecosystem management program. You should be aware that:
- ATV and snowmobile use, including for carcass retrieval, is strictly prohibited in Terra Nova National Park.
- There are few access roads within Terra Nova National Park. Public highways, community roads, and boat-accessible coastline will provide motorized access only to the margins of the MMA.
- Harvesters can access the MMA and retrieve carcasses by use of watercraft. Please note that only non-motorized boats may be used on inland waters.
- Moose is the only species that can be harvested. Other harvesting licences are not valid in the national park.
- Firearms must be cased or securely wrapped and tied in areas outside the MMA.
- Open fires and tree cutting are prohibited.
Map of Moose Management Area in Terra Nova National Park © Parks Canada
Download larger version of map (PDF, 8.34 MB)