Hours, Fees and Passes
Kootenay National Park is open year-round. The peak season is during July and August. Some Parks Canada services are only available from mid-May to early-October.
The Kootenay National Park Visitor Centre is located in the Village of Radium Hot Springs just outside the park’s west boundary. The visitor centre shares a building with Tourism Radium and the Friends of Kootenay. (Map)
- October 14, 2015 to May 19, 2016: Closed *
- May 20 to October 10, 2016: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Tourism Radium offers information services daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1.
Campgrounds, day use areas, and roads
- Kootenay National Park’s campgrounds operate from mid-May until early October.
- The Banff-Windermere Highway (Hwy 93 south) runs the length of Kootenay National Park and is maintained by Parks Canada staff year round.
- All day use areas are located along the highway and are open during the summer.
- Many of the trailheads with outhouses are open during the winter.
Seasonal closures and restrictions
This is a list of planned closures and restrictions in Kootenay National Park. However, closures and restrictions may happen at any time, in any location, and without prior notice. See the Important Bulletins page for a current listing.
*All other day use and picnic areas remain open, though they may not be plowed immediately after a snowfall.
- Provides entry to Kootenay, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, Mount Revelstoke, Glacier, Waterton Lakes and Elk Island national parks
- Valid until 4:00 p.m. on the day after purchase
- Available for purchase in the park
More information about Park Passes (FAQ)
Kootenay National Park - Fee Schedule