Hours, Facilities and Services
Visitor Centre © Parks Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park is open year round.
Our peak visitor season is during July and August. If you are planning a trip to Waterton during these months, be sure to book your accommodation in advance. From late fall to early spring, most park facilities are closed and few services are available. Most services are located in the community.
There are eight hotels, several restaurants and lounges, a variety of church services, one fuel station, camping supplies, groceries, pool and spa facilities, bank machines, gift shops, tennis courts, playgrounds, a post office, launderette and theatre.
Interpretive guides, bicycle rentals, golf course, horse stables, boat tours on Upper Waterton Lake and canoe or rowboat rentals at Cameron Lake are also available.
See our A-Z of Activities in Waterton Lakes National Park.
For further information, contact the Waterton Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Association
Dates of Operation - 2016
|Park Facilities and Services||When Open (subject to weather)|
||Year round, variable hours.|
||Year round, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Visitor Information Centre
- May 7 to June 23, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- June 24 to September 5, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- September 6 to October 10, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 2 to October 9 - if weather allows. Campground will be on self-registration to mid-October. Visitors may camp there later as weather allows, but water/sewer will be shut off.
|Crandell Mountain Campground
||May 20 to September 5 (Campground only open weekends, Friday and Saturday nights, until June 20. No reservations at this campground).|
||July 1-August 24.|
|Belly River Campground
||May 12 to September 30 (subject to weather).|
|Pass Creek (winter campground)
||October 31 to April 29 (open once Townsite Campground closes)|
- Belly River Campground, group camp, April 1
- Townsite Campground, January 15 (for reservations May 14 to September 11).
- Crandell Tipis, May 14.
- Backcountry, three months prior.
|Red Rock Parkway, including picnic sites
||Closed until May 2016. Starting May 6 until June 17, 2016, the Red Rock Parkway will reopen for public use on weekends only. During this period, visitors can access the parkway from Fridays at 2 p.m. until Sundays at 4 p.m. For the May long weekend, the parkway will be open from Friday, May 20 at 2 p.m. to Monday, May 23 at 4 p.m. As from June 17 at 2 p.m., the parkway will be open seven days a week to visitors, following the completion of road work and the replacement of culverts. Subject to construction projects.|
Akamina Parkway (entire road)
Akamina Parkway (to Little Prairie Picnic Area only)
Closed April 30 - November 2016. Due to the construction at Cameron Lake Day-Use Area, the Akamina Parkway will be closed to all traffic - including pedestrians and cyclists. Parks Canada is pursuing a complimentary shuttle service for hikers to safely access trailheads for the duration of the work. Subject to construction projects.
November 1 to first weekend in May.
|Chief Mountain Highway, including picnic sites
- First weekend in May to September 30 (Chief Mountain border crossing opens May 15). Repairs along Chief Mountain Highway will continue from May 1 until July 31, 2016.
- October 1 - December 31 (no maintenance from Three Flags viewpoint to Belly River Bridge, remaining section of highway closed from Belly River Bridge).
- January 1 - first weekend in May (no maintenance from junction with Highway 5&6 to highway closure at Belly River Bridge).
|Heritage Centre (operated by the Waterton Natural History Association)
||May 15 - September 20.|
|Park Interpretive Programs
||June 27 - August 30, plus Labour Day weekend (theatre programs, guided hikes, family activities, drop-in programs).|
The nearby communities of Pincher Creek, Cardston, Mountain View and Twin Butte also offer a variety of services including hotels, motels, bed and breakfast and ranch vacations.