Common menu bar links

Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux
National Historic Site of Canada

Archeological Discoveries

Pierre Cloutier and Jacques Guimont – Archaeologists

Outbuildings in the southern yard

After 1742, when the cannon platforms inside the Saint-Louis fort were abandoned, the level of the south yard was raised to lay paving stones, erect service buildings and install drains. The paving stones appear to have been laid in 1750 when the streets from the Château Saint-Louis to the intendant's palace on Rue Saint-Vallier were covered.

From these works, we found:

  • Sandstone paving stones in the south yard.
Paving in the château's lower courtyard Paving in the château's southern courtyard. The paving stones were laid in 1750.
© Parks Canada / P.Cloutier
  • A woodshed built in 1769, a driveshed and a stable put up in 1772 and a coal storage shed dating back to 1788.
Remains of the service buildings Remains of the service buildings from the first quarter of the 19th century, and drains in the château's southern yard
© Parks Canada / P.Cloutier
  • A very large building housing a kitchen and laundry room, the latter supplied by water from led pipes. This construction re placed preceding buildings in the 1820s.
  • Several drains which helped sanitize the area around the buildings over the years.

The first service buildings constructed as annexes may have been built in the south yard when the château was expanded to three storeys between 1808 and 1811. These new buildings, as well as those that replaced them in the 1820s, were accessible from the château by a passageway next to the fortification wall.