Certain sectors of the island will be the location of archaeological work, including digs. The aim is to protect on-site resources and gather more evidence or information about certain aspects of the quarantine station’s history. In particular, the remains of buildings and works in the area west of Hospital Bay, such as the 1832 and 1847 hospital complexes, will be located, so as to ensure that they receive adequate protection .
In accordance with the Cultural Resource Management Policy, any work that may disturb archaeological vestiges known or presumed to be present will be accompanied by the appropriate archaeological interventions. Vestiges uncovered during archaeological digs will be brought to the surface. As a rule, these vestiges will be appropriately surveyed and then re-buried.
However, in order to communicate the heritage values of the site, certain vestiges linked more closely to periods in the station’s history that have left behind few other traces will be left uncovered for viewing. Others which are too rare or fragile to remain in the open air will be signposted at ground level or signalled by other means. The following is a list of the vestiges thus selected:
- the fence and gate located at the end of the wharf, the guard’s house, the railway tracks laid outside the disinfection building;
- vestiges of the hospital and the 1832 immigrant detention building;
- the 1847 hospital complex, the 1847 immigrant detention shed, the first Anglican chapel and the first Catholic chapel;
- the barrier fence that previously separated the western sector from the central sector, located in the vicinity of the guard post;
- the hospital for cholera-sufferers and the summer kitchens of the upper block;
- the central cemetery;
- the Anglican presbytery;
- the superintendent’s house, the greenhouse, the icehouse, the stairs leading to the superintendent’s dock, the superintendent’s wash house;
- the post office;
- the 1832 army buildings and the central block;
- the village bakery;
- the ambulance shed and the pumping stage located near the lower wharf;
- the barrier fence between the central sector and the eastern sector (located west of the hospital administrator’s residence);
- the foundations of the 1912 hospital;
- the 1881 brick hospital and accompanying laundry;
- the lazarettos, except those located beneath the brick hospital and in the lower block;
- the lower block;
- the Catholic and Protestant sections of the eastern cemetery.
View of the hospital complex located in the eastern sector of the station at the end of the 19th century. Only a few archaeological vestiges testify to the era of bustle and activity once characterizing this area.
Lucienne Masson Collection
Care will also be taken to ensure that less obvious vestiges are made more visible by cutting back vegetation and creating an appropriate setting (see the Landscape preservation and protection plan ).
However, it has been agreed that the swimming pool built within the vestiges of the former superintendent’s house will be dismantled when it reaches the end of its useful life, considering the incompatibility of its presence with the existing archaeological resources and the cultural character of the site.
Preservation and presentation concept
Respecting the spirit of the place
Comprehensive and specific view of history
Grosse Île: looking to the future
Management objectives and key actions
Ensuring the commemorative integrity of the site
Commemorative plaques and monuments
Movable cultural resources
Communicating the site’s messages and heritage values
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada facilities
Preserving and presenting the natural environment
Shared management of the site