Management Plan

The Canadian Forces (1942-1945, 1951-1956)

In 1942, germ warfare was seen as a possible danger, thus prompting the Department of Defence to requisition the island, which became the War Disease Control Station . Various experiments involving viruses and vaccines were conducted in the disinfection building with a view to controlling animal diseases that might be deliberately introduced into North America by the enemy. 10 Personnel were housed in the northwestern part of the island, and the former 1847 lazaretto served as a poultry house. When the war ended in 1945, the station was closed down.

However, beginning in 1951, during the Korean War and the cold war, the Department of Defence again used Grosse Île for further research into biological warfare under the Canadian Armament Research and Development Establishment ( CARDE ).

10. For more on this subject, see John Bryden, Deadly Allies. Canada’s Secret War 1937-1947, Toronto, McClelland & Stewart, 1989, 314 p.


Commemorative integrity of the site

Commemorative intent
Resources symbolizing or representing the national significance of Grosse Île
Grosse Île and its cultural landscapes
On-site cultural resources
Movable cultural resources
Messages of national historic significance
Messages for the Canadian public
Messages for visitors to the site
Communication challenges
Other heritage values of the site
Precontact dimension of Grosse Île
Earliest settlers and agricultural use of the island before the quarantine station period
The Canadian Forces (1942-1945, 1951-1956)
Agriculture Canada (research and training station, animal quarantine)
International, national and regional links
Outstanding natural surroundings