Common menu bar links

Management Plan

Earliest settlers and agricultural use of the island before the quarantine station period

In 1662, the first concession for Grosse Île was granted to Noël Jérémie dit Lamontagne, under the name of Île Patience. However, official documents relating to subsequent transactions soon adopted the name Grosse Île. In 1681, the island passed into the hands of Sieur Bécard de Granville and would remain in his family until 1753, when it was acquired by Charles Vallée of Québec City. Documents of the time refer to “improved lands” but do not mention any buildings on the island. From 1764 to 1816, Grosse Île was owned by various other wealthy landowners who seem to have been more interested in the hunting and fishing rights on the territory than by agriculture and settlement.

In 1816, Louis Gauvreau rented out his concession – acquired the year before – to François Boutin. Buildings, including a house and a barn, were apparently already standing on the island. In 1817, a notary from Château-Richer by the name of Louis Bernier purchased the island. In 1831, he granted a farming lease to Pierre Duplain, the man who was farming Grosse Île at the time it was expropriated for use as a quarantine station in 1832.


Commemorative integrity of the site

Commemorative intent
Resources symbolizing or representing the national significance of Grosse Île
Grosse Île and its cultural landscapes
On-site cultural resources
Movable cultural resources
Messages of national historic significance
Messages for the Canadian public
Messages for visitors to the site
Communication challenges
Other heritage values of the site
Precontact dimension of Grosse Île
Earliest settlers and agricultural use of the island before the quarantine station period
The Canadian Forces (1942-1945, 1951-1956)
Agriculture Canada (research and training station, animal quarantine)
International, national and regional links
Outstanding natural surroundings