A jewel of the provincial capital, the Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site is a reminder of the richness of the city's military past. The site takes us back to the French and British regimes when Québec played a deciding role in the defence of the colony. Stroll along the fortification walls and admire the work of highly skilled craftsmen. And learn how these defensive works fashioned the city's layout and future growth.

Featured things to do

The legends of the talking walls

Can you solve the mystery of the walls? Find out with two fun-filled, sensory tours.

Fortifications of Québec guided tour

Led by a Parks Canada guide, travel through 400 years of adventure.

Getting here

2 D'Auteuil Street
Québec QC G1R 5C2

Hours of operation

Frontenac Kiosk : every day from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Artillery Park: Closed

Open all year round for groups upon reservation

Fees

Free admission in 2017. Other fees still apply.

Detailed fees list

Contact us

Telephone: 418-648-7016
Toll-free: 1-888-773-8888
Email: information@pc.gc.ca

Sites nearby

  • Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site

    What was the actual work of the governor? How many Châteaux Saint-Louis were there in Québec City? What was château life like between 1620 and 1834? The answers can be found at the Saint Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site! 

  • Lévis Forts National Historic Site

    The purpose of the Lévis Forts was to protect Quebec City against an American invasion. Visit Fort No. 1 to discover its history as well as military strategies, and enjoy the splendid panorama as well.

  • Grosse Île and the Irish Memorial National Historic Site

    Located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River, Grosse île was a quarantine station for the port of Québec from 1832 to 1937. Relive the troubling experiences of immigrants who set sail in hopes of a better future, and those who cared for them upon arrival.

  • Cartier-Brébeuf National Historic Site

    This site commemorates the wintering site of Jacques Cartier and his companions in 1535-1536 near the Iroquois village of Stadacona. It also bears witness to the establishment in 1625-1626 of the first Jesuit missionaries' residence in Québec.