IMMIGRATION FROM 1896 (LAURIER) to 1947 (KING)
III: Figuring out the facts : ReadingsFiguring out the facts
- The Great Boom of 1900 to 1913
- Immigration, the Railroad, and the West
- Chinese Immigrants
- Mackenzie King and the Plight of Jewish Refugees
- i) Clifford Sifton, Minister of the Interior: Peasant in a Sheep-skin
Coat, and ii) Stephen Leacock: The Immigration Problem
- Status of Aliens in the Canadian Citizenship Act (1947)
IV: Visual EvidenceVisual Evidence
- Cartoon The Canadian West: An Irresistible Attraction
- Photograph of immigrant homestead in the West
- Photograph of Doukhobor settlement in Manitoba
- Publications distributed by the government to attract immigrants to
- Canadian National Railway timetable promoting excursions to the West
- Photograph of people denied entry to Canada
- Photograph of Head Tax Certificate (1925)
- Photograph of Mackenzie King with Canadian Citizenship Certificate (1947)
V: Putting it All Together : ActivitiesPutting it All Together
- Compare and contrast: an account of the Conscription crisis of 1917 by an English-Canadian historian and one written by a French-Canadian historian.
- Discussion of 1917 editorial: What would you think of this war if you had grown up in Quebec? If you had grown up in English-Canada?
- War Letters: research old war letters, and write a description of life at the front.
VI: Supplementary Resources
Books On Laurier
Réal Bélanger Quand la politique devient passion. Québec: Presses de l'université Laval, 1986.
Richard Clippingdale Laurier: His Life and World. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1979.
Laurier LaPierre Sir Wilfrid Laurier and the Romance of Canada. Toronto: Stoddart, 1996.
Joseph Schull Laurier: The First Canadian. Toronto: Macmillan, 1965.
Oscar Douglas Skelton. The Life and Letters of Sir Wilfrid Laurier. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1921.
On Mackenzie King
R.M. Dawson. William Lyon Mackenzie King: A Political Biography, Volume I:1874-1923. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1958.
J.L. Granatstein. Mackenzie King: His Life and World. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1977.
H. Blair Neatby. William Lyon Mackenzie King: A Political Biography, Volumes II and III: 1923-1939. Toronto: University of
Toronto Press, 1958.
J.W. Pickersgill and D.F. Forster. The Mackenzie King Record, 1939-1948, Volumes I-IV. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1960-1970.
On the Prime Ministers of Canada
Michael Bliss. Right Honourable Men: The Descent of Canadian Politics from Macdonald to Mulroney. Toronto: Harper Collins, 1994.
J. Granatstein and N. Hillmer. Ranking Canada's Leaders. Toronto: Harper Collins, 1999.