The site actually consists of two separate sections: a Visitor Centre on the Canso waterfront and an interpretive trail on Grassy Island, 15 minutes away by boat. Allow half an hour to view the video and see the exhibits in the Visitor Centre. Allow an hour to take the boat trip and visit the island.
Get to know a few of Grassy Island's colourful characters. © Parks Canada
- Three life-size dioramas depict scenes from daily life in 1743. Nearby cases display related items and hold one of Atlantic Canada's best collections of 18th century artifacts.
- See a scale model of Grassy Island before the attack by the French in 1744.
- Watch Grassy Island: The Forgotten Settlement, a nine-minute video on the history of the island.
For adventure, take a short boat ride to the island and picnic near the wharf. © Parks Canada
- Walk the interpretive trail around the island to eight designated sites.
- Read the self-guiding trail pamphlet for descriptions that correspond to the numbers posted along the trail. The dirt trail is clearly marked. Plan to wear hiking boots or sturdy walking shoes.