Common menu bar links

Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site of Canada

Site Map - Non-Flash (HTML) version

This map shows the stone walled enclosure of Lower Fort Garry and various buildings and features outside its walls in a large grassy area surrounded by trees, on the banks of the Red River.

A pathway takes the visitor on a trip of discovery from the visitor reception area to buildings and features, including:

Map of Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site © Parks Canada
Industrial Complex
© Parks Canada

1. Industrial Complex
Foundations still remain of many of the buildings of the Industrial Complex, in use during the 1860s. A malt house, a distillery, lime kiln, gristmill and York Boat building shed were located near Monkman's Creek.

Docking Area
© Parks Canada

2. Docking Area
York boat brigades left the docking area for the North and West every June, laden with food and trade goods. Today, tour boats unload visitors in the same location.

Ross Cottage
© Parks Canada

3. Ross Cottage
The HBC constructed this cottage to house long-term guests at the fort. In the 1850s, it was known as Ross Cottage.

Chief Factor Donald Ross of Norway House moved into this house with his wife in 1851 to recover from what was probably tuberculosis.

Farm Manager's House
© Parks Canada

4. Farm Manager's House
This house was built in Kildonan (part of north Winnipeg) in the early 1830s by James Fraser, a Scottish farmer, and is one of the last Red River frame buildings left in Canada. It was moved here in 1970, and represents the Farm Manager's House.

Alexander Lillie was the Company Farm Manager in the late 1850s, responsible for one of the earliest large-scale commercial farm operations in Western Canada. Mr. Lillie lived in a house similar to this with his wife and children.

Aboriginal Encampment
© Parks Canada

5. Aboriginal Encampment
Aboriginal people living in the surrounding settlement would stop at the fort in the summer months to trade, sell goods, work for the Company or visit relatives.

Blacksmith's Shop
© Parks Canada

6. Blacksmith's Shop
The Blacksmith's Shop houses one of the many tradesmen working for the Company. Others include boatbuilders, carpenters, coopers, wheelrights, and masons.



Fort Map © Parks Canada
Big House
© Parks Canada

7. Big House
HBC posts usually had a dwelling for the officers, or business executives, of the Company. The Big House at Lower Fort Garry is one of the more elegant examples of such a house, and is the oldest building on site.

Retail Store/Museum
© Parks Canada

8. Retail Store/Museum Building
The only reconstructed building within the fort walls, the Retail Store/Museum building is a replica of the Company Retail Store built in 1873. It is now used for the exhibit 'First Nations and Metis Peoples of the Lower Red River'.

Furloft/Saleshop
© Parks Canada

9. Furloft/Saleshop
The Furloft/Saleshop, built in 1831, was the commercial center of the settlement in the 1850s. Most of the business transactions, such as shopping and trading, took place here.

Men's House
© Parks Canada

10. Men's House
The Men's House, built in 1850, served as a residence for the labourers and tradesmen who came from other communities, some from as far away as Scotland.

Warehouse
© Parks Canada

11. Warehouse
The Warehouse was built to house supplies and equipment for the fur trade.

Farm Complex
© Parks Canada

12. The Farm Complex
The Company began its large farming operation at the fort in the 1850s. The area north of the fort contains the archaeological remains of oxen, cattle and horse stables, and the stablemen's house.

13. The 'Stone Fort'
© Parks Canada

13. Treaty No. 1 / West Gate
Here, outside the West Gate, chiefs and representatives of the Swampy Cree and Ojibway peoples of southern Manitoba and the Crown made Treaty No. 1 in 1871. They made promises and granted each other rights and obligations. All Canadians remain party to the treaty.

Fort walls
© Parks Canada

14. Walls
The walls around the fort began to be constructed in 1839; they were finished in 1848. They are largely ornamental, and although Lower Fort Garry might appear to be a military fort, it never saw a battle.

East Gate
© Parks Canada

15. East Gate
The East Gate served as the main entrance to the fort because it faced the river. The names of some soldiers of the Québec Rifles, stationed here in 1870-71, are carved in the stone.


Doctor's Office
© Parks Canada

16. Doctor's Office
This is the only remaining wooden structure on site. It was built in 1885 to serve as the Doctor's Office when Lower Fort Garry housed a mental health facility.


Bastions are located at each corner of the fort:

Southwest Bastion
© Parks Canada

17. Southwest Bastion
The Southwest Bastion was used for storage. Visit a display about fur trade architecture housed here.

Southeast Bastion
© Parks Canada

18. Southeast Bastion
The Southeast Bastion was once an icehouse. Washrooms are now located here.

The Northeast Bastion
© Parks Canada

19. Northeast Bastion
The Northeast Bastion was used to store gunpowder.

Northwest bastion
© Parks Canada

20. Northwest Bastion
The Northwest Bastion was used as a Company bake house. Bakers made hardtack biscuits, which were consumed on York boat trips.


« Click to go back