This map shows the stone walled enclosure of Lower Fort Garry and various buildings and features outside its walls in a large grassy area surrounded by trees, on the banks of the Red River.
A pathway takes the visitor on a trip of discovery from the reception centre to buildings and features, including:
1. The Industrial Complex: Foundations still remain of many of the buildings of the Industrial Complex, in use during the 1860s. A malt house, a distillery, limekiln, gristmill and York Boat building shed were located near Monkman's Creek.
2. Docking Area: York boat brigades left the docking area for the North and West every June, laden with food and trade goods. Today, tour boats unload visitors in the same location.
3. Ross Cottage: The HBC constructed this cottage to house long-term guests at the fort. In the 1850s, it was known as Ross Cottage.
4. Farm Manager's House: This house was built in Kildonan (part of north Winnipeg) in the early 1830s by James Fraser, a Scottish farmer, and is one of the last Red River frame buildings left in Canada. It was moved here in 1970, and represents the Farm Manager's House.
5. Aboriginal Encampment: Aboriginal people living in the surrounding settlement would stop at the fort in the summer months to trade, sell goods, work for the Company or visit relatives.
6. The Blacksmith's Shop houses one of the many tradesmen working for the Company. Others include boatbuilders, carpenters, coopers, wheelrights, and masons.
7. HBC posts usually had a dwelling for the officers, or business executives, of the Company. The Big House at Lower Fort Garry is one of the more elegant examples of such a house, and is the oldest building on site.
8. The only reconstructed building within the fort walls, the Retail Store/Museum building is a replica of the Company Retail Store built in 1873. It is now used for the exhibit 'First Nations and Metis Peoples of the Lower Red River'.
9.The Furloft/Saleshop, built in 1831, was the commercial center of the settlement in the 1850s. Most of the business transactions, such as shopping and trading, took place here.
10. The Men's House, built in 1850, served as a residence for the labourers and tradesmen who came from other communities, some from as far away as Scotland.
11. The Warehouse was built to house supplies and equipment for the fur trade.
Farm Complex (North of the fort):
12. The Company began its large farming operation at the fort in the 1850s. The area north of the fort contains the archaeological remains of oxen, cattle and horse stables, and the stablemen's house.
1871 Treaty Commemoration:
13. Here at the 'Stone Fort', chiefs and representatives of the Anishinaabe and Ininew peoples in southern Manitoba and the Crown signed Treaty No. 1 in 1871, making promises and granting each other rights and obligations. All Canadians remain party to the treaty.
14. The walls around the fort began to be constructed in 1839; they were finished in 1848. They are largely ornamental, and although Lower Fort Garry might appear to be a military fort, it never saw a battle.
Within the stone walls of the stone fort
15. The East Gate served as the main entrance to the fort because it faced the river. The names of some soldiers of the Québec Rifles, stationed here in 1870-71, are carved in the stone.
16. Doctor's Office: This is the only remaining wooden structure on site. It was built in 1885 to serve as the Doctor's Office when Lower Fort Garry housed a mental health facility.
Bastions are located at each corner of the fort:
17. The Southwest Bastion was used for storage. Visit a display about fur trade architecture housed here.
18. The Southeast Bastion was once an icehouse. Washrooms are now located here.
19. The Northeast Bastion was used to store gunpowder.
20. The Northwest Bastion was used as a Company bake house. Bakers made hardtack biscuits, which were consumed on York boat trips.