Experiences to Discover
(May 16 to September 7)
New for 2015! Enjoy the full Cannery Experience to see, hear, touch and taste a sample of historic life in the fishing industry on Canada’s West Coast. The Cannery Experience includes scheduled guided tours, gallery talks, canning line machine demonstrations, “Characters of Cannery” storytelling experiences, and salmon tasting!
Sample Daily Schedule*
10:00am – Gallery/Artifact Talks – Discover more about fishing methods in our Fishing the West Coast Exhibit, or see a variety of artifacts from the site's collection.
10:30am and every half past the hour – Salmon Tasting – Did you know that there are 5 different salmon species living in BC’s coastal waters? Taste the difference between canned samples of two of these species – decide on your favourite and find out more about each!
11:00am / 1:00pm / 3:00pm – Historic Canning Line Guided Tours (English) 45 mins. – Discover the history of the fishing and canning industry of BC’s West Coast and meet the “Characters of Cannery” who share their stories of work and life in a cannery town.
12:00pm / 2:00pm – Historic Canning Line Guided Tours (French) 45 mins.
10:00am (French) / 12:00pm (English) / 2:00pm (English) / 3:00pm (French) – Herring Reduction Plant Guided Tours (English/French) 30 mins.
2:30pm / 4:30pm – Canning Line Machine Demonstrations – see our machines at work!
*Daily schedules are subject to change; please check our Daily Program board upon arrival.
Don’t forget to include the following activities in your visit:
- Visit our feature exhibit, Trading Routes: Rivers, Fish and Oil and see how local artists have interpreted the effects of natural resource extraction on the communities and fish habitats surrounding our BC rivers.
- Watch the 15-minute introductory film, Journey Through Time, about the history of BC’s canneries and the people who worked in them.
- Visit our newly opened harbour viewing dock and take a seat in our Parks Canada Red Chairs to soak in the views of the active Steveston Harbour.
- Peugh for salmon in our fish bins!
- Walk through a model wheelhouse for a peak at a fisherman’s quarters.
- Families: Participate in the Parks Canada Xplorers program, an experience packed with fun games and activities. Kids will receive a certificate and a souvenir as tokens of their success.
Note: Visitor site maps are available in Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), and Japanese site maps are available upon request.