The following goals established by Parks Canada, guide the delivery of school programming at the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site of Canada.
- To aid teachers educating present and future generations of students about the roles of students as stewards of our national heritage.
- To promote Canada’s national parks, heritage sites and marine conservation areas as important places of lifelong learning.
Igniting young imaginations and encouraging young minds to think in new ways about the past...
The Bar U Ranch offers curriculum-based school programming for K-9 students focusing on ranching history delivered in 35-minute segments by heritage interpreters. Programs are comprised of hands-on activities, demontrations, interactive talks, sensory experiences and environmental hikes.
Knowledgeable heritage interpreters demonstrate real ranch tasks, including leatherwork, blacksmithing, roping and livestock handling, while sharing the stories of the people, the history and the ranching industry.
Whether exploring the ranch by horse-drawn wagon, visiting roundup camp, touring the blacksmith shop and cookhouse, or hiking designated trails, students discover a unique part of their Canadian heritage and learn about an important rangeland environment.
Bar U Ranch school programming demonstrates a broad range of educational themes integrating historical, cultural, social, political, environmental and economic issues.
- School programming is offered Monday through Thursday, from late May to the end of September.
- Bookings may be made throughout the year and teachers are advised to make bookings well in advance.
- Most visits run approximately four hours and consist of four programs including a lunch break at noon.
- Optimum group arrival and departure times are 10:00 am and 2:00 pm respectively.
Fees: Admission: $3.90 per student with teachers and chaperones admitted free. An additional charge of $147.00 per school group (50 maximum) covers costs of program development and delivery. All fees include GST.
Payment: Payment may be made on arrival, in cash, debit or credit card, or by cheque payable to the Receiver General of Canada.
Cancellations: Cancellations may be made without penalty up to 24 hours prior to your booking, A fee of $100.00 may be charged for cancellations made after this time and for no shows.
The Bar U Ranch is located 90 minutes southwest of Calgary and 10 minutes south of Longview on Highway 22 at the intersection of Highway 540.
A registered charity, the Galileo Educational Network creates, promotes and disseminates innovative teaching and learning practices. See an interactive presentation about the Bar U created by grade 3 students at Red Deer Lake School.