2013: The Year in Pictures - A collection of images over the last 12 months (via the Parks Canada Vancouver Twitter channel @ParksCanadaVan)
1. Tree with Mushroom Growth on Saturna Island in Gulf Islands National Park Reserve
Tweet: Mother Nature's tribute to #Movember - impressive growth at #GulfIslands #NationalPark Reserve!
2. Great photo submitted by a Parks Canada employee conducting early morning patrols in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
Tweet: Sunrise at #PacificRim #NationalPark Reserve #weekend #explorecanada
3. Coastal Naturalists inspire travellers on BC Ferries during the summer of 2013
Tweet: Today marks the launch of this year's #CoastalNaturalist program! Come join us for the 1st show of the year. @bcferries
4. The Vancouver Outreach team delights visitors @VancouverAqua and @scienceworldca
Tweet: the Vancouver Outreach team @scienceworldca and @VancouverAqua! Well done and bravo!
5. Parks Canada’s mascot, Parka meets FIN, official mascot for the Vancouver Canucks
Tweet: What could be more Canadian than @ParksCanada and #hockey? Parka and Fin – instant friends. @VanCanucks
6. Google Streetview visited Parks Canada forts, parks, trails and even waterways – you can too!
Tweet: Something new: @googlecanada Streetview on the water in #GulfIslands Nat’l Park Reserve. Next stop: #PacificRim
7. The shores of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve were given international recognition as a critical resting and feeding place for migratory shorebirds
Tweet: Early Bird gets the worm! #PacificRim #NationalPark Reserve
8. Dozens of families learned to camp this summer with Parks Canada, MEC and friends! We loved the s’mores!
Tweet: A big thank you to all our 2013 #LearntoCamp partners and volunteers! @mec_vancouver @mec_victoria @CampandRVinBC @SUCCESSCanada @Go_Fish_BC
9. Families camped in oTENTik tents at Fort Langley and Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Sites!
Tweet: "Highly recommend staying at the newly built oTENTik tents at #FortLangley ... the kids loved it..." / @TripAdvisor
10. Join us on Twitter and tell us your favourite memories with Parks Canada in 2013!
Tweet: “Enjoying a Heritage Holiday around the campfire at Fort Langley National Historic Site” (Photo of Bonfire Girls)
© Parks Canada
Activities at our parks and sites continue through the fall and winter. If you enjoy being outside, try storm-watching, or a winter hike at Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, Gulf Islands National Park Reserve, or Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site. If you’d rather stay out of the weather, spend time with family and friends cozying up to history at Fort Langley or the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Sites.
© Parks Canada
Many of our places host events from performances and celebrations, to exhibits and food. Shiver at spooky Hallowe’en events, or try tasty cranberry bannock. Check our monthly listing below and follow us on Twitter to see what's coming up. Look for Parka, our mascot, at some of our events!
© Parks Canada
Gear, Gifts and Planning
Want to be equipped and look the part for your next Parks Canada adventure? Or thinking of presents for family and friends? Check out our Parks Canada merchandise.
After you've picked out your ensemble, download the Learn-to Camp and Heritage Gourmet apps to access to the best tips and recipes for your future camp out!
Dreaming of next summer already? Spend some time here for some great ideas and information to help you plan the best trip ever.