A camper enjoys a beautiful view of Rampart Mountains... right from her tent! Jasper National Park © Parks Canada / L. Neufeld
This month, Parks Canada is celebrating our national parks. Canada's system of national parks is among the most amazing in the world, and represents the beauty and the diversity of Canada's wilderness. There are national parks in every province and territory of the country, from coast to coast to coast, from prairies to mountains, and from beaches to glaciers.
The Parks Canada Agency system of national parks currently consists of 42 parks representing 28 of Parks Canada's 39 natural terrestrial regions.
Ultimately, Parks Canada's national parks system will include parks in all of Canada's natural regions. In this way, national parks will forever protect a portion of the landscapes, wildlife, and ecosystem diversity representative of, and sometimes unique to, each natural region.
Sable Island, Nova Scotia © Parks Canada / D. Harvey
Parks Canada works to establish national parks
Arnica © Parks Canada
Parks Canada protects inspiring examples of Canada’s landscapes
An enthusiast hiker celebrates the greatness of nature at Elysium Pass, in Jasper National Park © Parks Canada / J. Nadeau
Parks Canada keeps nature connected to the hearts and minds of Canadians
Everybody can make a difference in national parks! © Parks Canada
Parks Canada takes action on the ground to restore degraded ecosystems
Also, this month:
- Enjoy some fun facts about national parks.
- Check out our beautiful wallpapers, where you can download some of our best pictures to your own screen.
- Have a look at archaeological research conducted in Aulavik National Park.
- Read about Rustic style architecture which characterizes much of the buildings found in our national parks.
- In This Week in History, look at our national parks in a different light by going back in time: