Guided School Programs 2013
May 22-June 19
“Protecting and presenting our natural and cultural heritage!”
Teachers and students get involved with Prince Albert National Park's heritage! Hike with an interpreter, explore a wetland, discover on your own...many adventures await you!
Elementary: grade 4
Using your five senses discover the forest homes that our animal friends live in and how we are connected to them. Experience the sights, sounds and smells while exploring the plant life.
Program length: 2 hours
What lives in the water? From bugs to beavers, you will be surprised as you wander the wetlands to see who makes this place their home and how they interact with the surrounding community. Program length: 2 hours
Getting close with nature! © Parks Canada
Middle Years: grades 5 – 8
Spruce trees, wolves, elk, fire and you are part of this Boreal forest. Explore the interactions within this community and find out how you can be a guardian of the forest. Program length: 2 hours
Walk in the footsteps of the people who camped beside the Park's lakes, fished the waters, and used the forest as their kitchen and home. See how they are part of Prince Albert National Park’s cultural heritage. Program length: 2 hours
Students dipnetting in Waskesiu Lake © Parks Canada
High School: grades 9 - 12
Explore the role of fire in creating and supporting diversity in the boreal forest. Students collect and analyze data to discover how birds and other wildlife adapt to fire disturbance and other changes in this forest. Program length: 2.5 hours
Students explore the river from the 'inside-out'. Learn how a flowing water environment creates both challenges and opportunities for life. Discover the diversity and interactions in this ecosystem.
Options for 2.5 or 4 hour programs
Explore the Park on your own:
- Choose one of the four self-guided hiking trails: Mud Creek, Treebeard, Boundary Bog, or Waskesiu River
Wakesiu River © Parks Canada
- Entrance fees: $2.90 per student; program fees: additional $1 per student - total $3.90, must be paid on date of arrival, no invoices issued, all forms of payment accepted.
- Adults must accompany each group of 6-8 students and participate in the program.
- Students should dress appropriately and be prepared for approximately two hours in the outdoors.
- Phone Visitor Centre at (306) 663-4522 for group camping.
- French programming available upon request for Wetland Wanderers.
Prince Albert National Park of Canada
Waskesiu Lake, SK S0J 2Y0
Phone (306) 663-4510
Fax: (306) 663-5424