Grasslands National Park offers a range of camping experiences.
The Frenchman Valley Campground (West Block) features 20 tent/RV campsites (including 4 electrical, 3 pull through, and 1 wheelchair accessible site) plus three walk-in tipi style accommodations. The 20 RV/tent sites are equipped with fire pits, lantern hangers and picnic tables as well as access to potable water and vault toilets. The new campground includes a cook shelter that will be a central location for park programs as well as emergency cover during inclement weather.
Campsites are available on a first-come, first serve basis and operate by Self Registration. Teepee camping is available by reservation only. Please contact the Visitor Reception Centre for information.
The Belza Day use site is located in the West Block along the Ecotour Road. Here you will find you will find an outhouse, picnic tables, mowed grass and road access.
Horse camping is available South of the Belza day use site, and the Rock Creek Campground. Site Includes: Information kiosk, horse pens, outhouse, water trough and manure receptacle.
The Rock Creek Campground is located near the east entrance of the East Block. It includes a beautiful kitchen shelter and bridge, designated RV/tent campsites, picnic tables and a vault toilet. One walk-in teepee accommodation is also available. Check-out the newly available on-site visitor reception for up-to-date visitor information and guided programs.
Back Country Camping is a wilderness camping experience, where campers can randomly set-up tents within the park and enjoy the native prairie landscape with no services. Visitors are expected to park their vehicle on a gravel pull-off and set-up camp out of view – approximately 1km off- road or away from former ranch sites.
Camping is an excellent way to experience the prairie – whether backcountry or with a family! © Parks Canada / Colin Schmidt
- Please Register! - Stop in at the GNP Visitor Centre in Val Marie for camping permits, suggested hiking routes, camping locations and current park information. Visitors may also register for camping at the Rodeo Ranch Museum in the Wood Mountain Regional Park (summer only). There is a self – registering process for camping at Frenchman Valley Campground, McGowans and an after hours registration process at the Visitor Centre in Val Marie.
- Vehicles must remain on roads, designated pull-offs and trails in front country areas at all times. Please respect our ranch neighbours and stay on park property.
- Please keep pets on a leash and stay a safe distance from wildlife.
- There is no potable water in the East Block of the park, so bring your own water supply (2+ litres per 12 hr day). Water containers can be filled at the Visitor Centre in Val Marie, or at the Rodeo Ranch Museum in the Wood Mountain Regional Park (summer only).
- To ensure no-trace of your presence, pack out everything that was packed in.
- Open fires are only allowed at the Frenchman Valley Campground. The use of portable cook stoves is permitted for all camping experiences. Fires and cooking stovesmay be restricted during high fire season.
- Weather Updates - During periods of extreme dry conditions, fire bans will be posted. During periods of wet weather, be cautious as roads may become impassable when wet! Check with staff for current weather conditions.
- Full service campgrounds are available in the Village of Val Marie and the Wood Mountain Regional Park. Both are equipped with picnic tables, electrical sites, washroom/shower house, and B-B-Q pits. The Wood Mountain Campground also provides a swimming pool and concession booth. A private campground, The Crossing Resort located south of Val Marie, bordering the West Block, provides tent and RV camping sites and suites. For more information on campgrounds, please check out Saskatchewan Accommodation, Resort & Campground Guide.
Back Country Camping: $9.80/person/night OR $15.70/unit /night for two or more people.
Front Country Camping: $15.70/RV or tent
Teepee Camping: $15.70/night or $45.00 with equipment rental.
Organized Groups: $4.90/person
* We are in a transition stage with developing camping in GNP, so our fees are evolving.