World War II at Forillon’s gate
This site is a moving remnant of the Gaspé naval base, one of Canada’s leading military stations during the Second World War.
Inaugurated in 1942, the Gaspé military complex consisted of a naval base (H.M.C.S Fort Ramsay), three coastal batteries (Fort-Haldimand, Fort-Prével, and Fort-Peninsula), an enormous anti-submarine net that closed off Gaspé Bay to German U-boats, and a fleet of 19 warships.
Why was there a naval base in Gaspé?
What makes this heritage site so remarkable?
To find out, watch our video on Fort-Peninsula.
Torpedo attacks off the coast of Cap-des-Rosiers
Did you know that ships were torpedoed by German U-boats near the coast of Forillon in 1942 during the Battle of the St. Lawrence?
In fall 2015, over 70 years later, five shipwrecks were located off the coast of Cap-Gaspé and Cap-des-Rosiers through the joint efforts of several partners, including Samuel Côté, researchers from the Interdisciplinary Centre for the Development of Ocean Mapping (CIDCO), archaeologist Érik Phaneuf, REFORMAR, and Canadian Heritage. This discovery generated a great deal of interest and brought back memories for many Gaspésiens.
What really happened on September 15, 1942?
Two witnesses, Gérald Giasson and Guy Ste-Croix, share their memories of this little-known episode of the Second World War.
Photo : © Musée de la Gaspésie. P246 Fonds Edgar Dorais.