Skier on the “La Vallée” trail in Forillon National Park© Parks Canada
Parks Canada reaches agreement with the Centre culturel Le Griffon (Comité de l’entrepôt de L’Anse-au-Griffon)
January 17, 2014 - Gaspé (Quebec) - Parks Canada
Parks Canada and the Centre culturel Le Griffon recently reached a partnership agreement that will enable Gaspé citizens and visitors to enjoy cross-country skiing at Forillon National Park this winter.
Thanks to the contribution of the volunteers of the cultural centre known as the Centre culturel Le Griffon, you can now put on your cross-country skis and hit the “La Vallée” and “Le Portage” trails, which represent no less than 14.6 km of trails in the heart of a snow-laden valley…WOW!
Don’t waste time – enjoy winter while it lasts! The partnership agreement with the Centre culturel Le Griffon ends on March 15, 2014.
- Under the partnership agreement signed on January 10, 2014 by the Centre culturel Le Griffon and Parks Canada, centre volunteers will see to the upkeep of the 10 km of the “Le Portage” trail and 4.6 km of the “La Vallée” trail until March 15, 2014, at which time the agreement will end.
- This winter, in addition to cross-country skiing on mechanically groomed trails (“Le Portage” et “La Vallée”), Forillon has other activities to offer, including backcountry skiing, snowshoeing and wildlife observation. Parking lots will be cleared of snow on a regular basis, and service buildings (including the “Répit Nord” shelter on the “La Vallée” trail) and restrooms can be accessed until March 15.
- To find out more about Forillon’s winter offering, visit www.parkscanada.gc.ca/forillon, call 418-368-5505, or follow the park on Facebook www.facebook.com/forillonNP.
- Parks Canada kindly requests that visitors exercise caution and prepare for changing weather conditions whenever they take part in outdoor recreational activities, particularly in winter. For further details about planning a safe winter visit, please visit the page Safety Guidelines for the Practice of activities in Forillon National Park.
- Parks Canada is proud to collaborate with the Centre culturel Le Griffon and offer its visitor winter activities so as to enjoy discovering Canada’s national treasures and come away with truly memorable experiences.
Skiers on the “La Vallée” trail in Forillon National Park © Parks Canada
“I am delighted that this partnership agreement between the Centre culturel Le Griffon and Parks Canada will enable local citizens and visitors to take full advantage of the pleasures of skiing in the splendid setting of Forillon National Park.”
Mr. Stéphane Marchand, Superintendent, Forillon National Park, Parks Canada
“What a great outcome for everyone – citizens and visitors! We are proud to contribute to this cross-country ski offering; above all, we are ready to meet this challenge with our fine team of volunteers.”
Mr. Vincent Malouin, Vice-President and volunteer, Centre culturel Le Griffon
Activities offered at Forillon National Park
External Relations Manager
Parks Canada – Gaspésie Field Unit
Centre culturel Le Griffon (Comité de l’entrepôt de L’Anse-au-Griffon)