Parks Canada joins forces with the local Célébrations Canada Gaspé committee
June 20, 2014 - Gaspé (Quebec) – Forillon National Park
Parks Canada and the local Célébrations Canada Gaspé committee are working together to offer the public a day of festivities and family fun on July 1 ― Canada Day. Admission to Forillon National Park will be free for the day.
© Parks Canada / Antoine Haimeur
Forillon National Park invites families to shut down their screens and enjoy a day of escape into the great outdoors. What could be more rewarding than an activity with our interpreters? More energizing than a hike in a forest teeming with life? More fascinating than a whale-watching cruise? With a view to prompting young people to come outside to play on Canada Day, Parks Canada and Célébrations Canada Gaspé have called on WIXX, a social communication campaign staged by “Québec en Forme” that proposes making fun and free play the core of activities geared to get young people up and moving.
Parks Canada and Célébrations Canada Gaspé invite the entire public to take advantage of this day of activities to celebrate Canada Day outdoors and surrounded by music!
© Parks Canada / Serge Ouellet
Activities at Forillon National Park
- Croisières Baie-de-Gaspé will be offering two whale-watching cruises on open house day. Cruises will be free for children aged 15 years or under. Departures are from Grande-Grave wharf at 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. (Places are limited! Be sure to reserve by calling 418-892-5500!)
- Access to the pool in the Recreation Centre (South sector) will be free for children aged 16 years or under from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- At lunchtime, visitors are invited to come to the Recreation Centre for a family picnic. Bring your favourite food, or opt for the special barbecue meal offered on site (for a fee).
© Parks Canada / Roger St-Laurent
- Beginning at 1:30 p.m. at the Recreation Centre, a rousing musical presentation will be offered by Forillon’s team of musical performers! Their mix of traditional and call-and-response songs is sure to create a festive atmosphere until 2:30 p.m.
- Throughout the afternoon, the park’s interpretation team will hold special on-site activities. Face painting, door prizes and other surprises are in store! Parks Canada’s popular mascot Parka, always a hit with the little ones, will also be in attendance!
- The “Québec en forme” team will be on hand at the Recreation Centre to present WIXX, a social communication campaign aimed at promoting active recreation as well as walking and biking among children aged 9 to 13 years. The goal of the campaign is to prevent a serious drop in physical activity toward the ages of 13 and 14 years.
Celebrations in downtown Gaspé
- At 11:30 a.m. the public is invited to attend the traditional official ceremony at the Monument des Braves, near the Gaspé bridge, where veterans and representatives of the Gaspé branch of the Royal Canadian Legion will be in attendance.
- At 8:30 p.m., at the Gaspé rest area, the concert entitled “Elvis Forever” will be presented. The impressionist Dany Vincent will masterfully personify the King in a show that has been presented in auditoriums, casinos and festivals across Quebec for more than 15 years.
“The open house day at Forillon is THE ideal time to take a break from the routine and enjoy new family experiences. It’s a time to unwind, have fun and fill up on energy and happy memories – all in the here and now.” Stéphane Marchand, Forillon National Park superintendent.
“We are delighted to be partnering with Parks Canada for a second year in a row and to be able to offer the citizens of Gaspé this superb program of events for Canada Day.” Nancy Rochefort, volunteer for the Célébrations Canada Gaspé committee.
Press release - Canada Day 2013
WIXX (in french)