Parks Canada and Club Vélocipeg Consolidate Their Partnership
March 24, 2014 - Gaspé (Quebec) - Parks Canada and Club Vélocipeg de Gaspé, organizer of the Bouette et Bitume Cycling Festival, are proud to announce that they have consolidated their partnership and are planning to hold the third Gran Fondo Forillon cycling challenge.
Gran Fondo Forillon at Grande-Grave
© Parks Canada / Éric Leblanc
This year, for the very first time, Forillon National Park will host the entire “bitume” – or road biking -- portion of the festival. Activities will take place on the magnificent Grande-Grave heritage site on Sunday, August 31. Grande-Grave was chosen not only for its beautiful setting, but also because of the advantages it can offer festival participants in terms of safety and accessibility.
For this third edition of the Gran Fondo Forillon, the organizers will present participants with new routes that wind their way through the park’s enchanting sea and mountain landscapes. Once again, the routes have been laid out bearing in mind the cycling skills of all participants, from beginners to families to the most seasoned cyclists. The choice is all yours!
- For this third edition of the festival, the Gran Fondo Forillon activities will be held in Forillon National Park, on three different courses designed to satisfy all levels of cyclists: the Gran Fondo (125 km), the Medio Fondo (85 km) and the Petit Fondo (50 km). All the courses will provide cyclists with a special opportunity to connect with nature and the sea.
- In addition to offering challenges to sports cyclists, the festival will invite families to take up the Virée Santé charity challenge. The Pico Fondo Forillon (2 km) will also be back for children 10 years of age and under, providing them with a first-time racing experience on a course laid out for grown-ups.
- Registration is scheduled to begin on April 1, 2014. Full details and registration procedures will be available on the event’s website at www.bouetteetbitume.com .
- Gaspé’s Bouette et Bitume cycling festival is the first event of its kind in Québec to combine both mountain and road cycling activities. For its third edition, the festival is expecting over 400 participants from Quebec, the Maritimes and Ontario.
- Parks Canada is proud to join forces with Club Vélocipeg for the Gran Fondo Forillon, one of the few cycling events to be held in a park that belongs to the Parks Canada network. In Quebec, the Défi Vélo Mag is the only cycling event held annually in La Mauricie National Park.