Common menu bar links

Prince Edward Island National Park of Canada

ShoreLINES: Heritage Notes from Parks Canada's Special Protected Places in PEI

Prince Edward Island National Park commemorates 75 years in 2012 - Timeline

1937
Creation of PEI National Park
Administration offices established at Dalvay house
Construction of bath houses at Dalvay and Cavendish beaches

1938
First Field Unit Superintendent, E.A. Smith is appointed

1939
Brackley Beach made accessible from the park boundary by road
First nine holes of Green Gables Golf Course open
Cavendish, Stanhope and Brackley Beach Campgrounds open

1940
Remaining nine holes of Green Gables Golf Course open
Tennis courts constructed at Dalvay-by-the-Sea

1947
Bowling green established at Dalvay-by-the-Sea
Dalvay-by-the-Sea is leased and operated as a hotel

1948
Surfguard service begins at Cavendish

1949
Surfguard service expanded to Dalvay
Tennis courts constructed at Green Gables and Brackley Beach

1950
Green Gables house opens to the public and offers a tea-room and souvenir concession

1955
Three small existing campsites in Cavendish expand to create the current Cavendish Campground
Stanhope Campground expanded

1957
Gulf Shore Parkway construction begins and replaces existing gravel road

1961
Brackley Beach campground closes

1962
Gulf Shore Parkway construction complete
The newly expanded Cavendish Campground reopens

1964
Rustico (Robinson’s) Island campground opens

1968
Guide service is established at Green Gables house and tea room and souvenir concessions are moved to the golf club-house

1969
Interpretation programs are introduced in PEI National Park

1989
Cavendish Visitor Information Centre built in collaboration with the provincial Department of Tourism

1994
Dalvay-by-the-Sea declared a National Historic Site

1998
Green Gables redevelopment completed
Greenwich Peninsula is added to PEI National Park

2001
Greenwich Interpretation Centre and trail system open

2004
Green Gables Heritage Place becomes part of L.M. Montgomery’s Cavendish National Historic Site

2005
Former Rainbow Valley site acquired

2007
The former Rainbow Valley site opens as a day-use area called Cavendish Grove

2008
Robinson’s Island Campground closes
First 10 kilometers of multi-use trail that runs alongside the Gulf Shore Parkway from Brackley to Dalvay completed

2010
The multi-use trail that runs alongside the Gulf Shore Parkway from Cavendish to North Rustico completed

2012
PEI National Park turns 75!

Source: Lothian, 1976