Big Week of Birding Rules and Ethics
The American Birding Association (ABA) Rules and Interpretations (PDF) will apply to this event with the following noted exceptions:
- Prescribed area will be Prince Edward Island National Park and up to 321 km (200 miles) directly off shore.
- Birds accepted are only those on the Field Checklist of Birds for PEI. “Write-ins” are welcome but will not count toward team or individual totals.
- A registered team's total count will be comprised of combined lists from individual members.
- For the PEI National Park Big Week of Birding, each most wanted species encountered will score a bonus point (i.e. 1 extra species)
- The registered team and the registered individual with the most species (including bonus points) will be declared the winner. Ties will be allowed.
- There are no limits to the number of individuals per team.
- Winners will only be declared from those who have registered for the event with Parks Canada prior to 11:59 pm on TBD, 2014. See details on how to register in the Participant’s Kit.
- To be eligible for top or random draw prizes, your completed results must be received by Parks Canada by 12:00 pm (noon) on TBD, 2014. Results must be submitted to the attention of André Laurin, Interpretation Officer:
In Person: Ardgowan National Historic Site (2 Palmers Lane, Charlottetown) or Dalvay Administration Building (40 Dalvay Crescent, York)
By Email: email@example.com
By Fax: 902-672-6370
- Participants in the Big Week of Birding are expected to respect park rules, including, but not limited to the following:
- Stay on the trails and off the dunes.
- Do not bring dogs to the beach. Domestic animals are prohibited from park beaches from April 1 to October 15, but are welcome, on a leash, elsewhere in the park.
- Do not enter closed areas. Parks Canada closes parts of the park each spring to protect Piping Plover nesting areas. Additionally, some areas of the park are closed as regeneration areas. These areas are all well-signed. Please respect park closures.
- Park in designated areas only. Parking along the Gulf Shore Parkway or in areas that are not designated for parking is not permitted.
Note: To read the PDF version you need Adobe Acrobat Reader on your system.
If the Adobe download site is not accessible to you, you can download Acrobat Reader from an accessible page.
If you choose not to use Acrobat Reader you can have the PDF file converted to HTML or ASCII text by using one of the conversion services offered by Adobe.