Point Pelee National Park of Canada
Festival of Birds 2010
Located at the crossroads of major migration routes, Point Pelee National Park is a meeting place for birds and birders alike. The diversity of habitats protected by Point Pelee provide crucial resting and refuelling stations for a wide variety of migrants. Celebrate the miracle of spring migration at Point Pelee’s Festival Birds and witness the return of the songbirds first hand.
The Friends are a key partner in the Festival of Birds, organizing and delivering the Birding Hikes and the Birder’s Breakfast and Lunch.
Check out the Nature Nook Gift Store to purchase your limited edition Festival memorabilia. This year’s products feature the Scarlet Tanager. Proceeds from sales of these products assist the Friends of Point Pelee and its support of the park.
For more information about the Friends of Point Pelee, please call 1-888-707-3533 or 519-326-6173 or visit the website at www.friendsofpointpelee.com
Birding Services and Information
- The Visitor Centre is open from 7 am – 5 pm, May 1-16 and 8 am – 5pm, May 17-24, for the latest reports.
- Visit the Nature Nook Gift Store for birding products, binocular rentals, or to book a Birding Hike.
- Birder’s Roost, in the Visitor Centre shuttle loop, is always open with an interactive of checklist and a message board!
- Guest speakers and workshops are offered throughout the Festival.
- Daily migration reports are posted to ONTBIRDS (www.ofo.ca).You can also post your own sightings at www.ebird.ca
Trails and Shuttle Service
- Our Shuttle Service hours have been expanded to get you to the Tip in the early morning hours.
- April 24 – 30 : 7 am – 5 pm
- May 1-16 : 6 am – 5 pm
- May 17-24 : 7 am – 6 pm
- May 25-30 : 8 am – 6 pm
- An additional 12 kms of Seasonal Birding Footpaths are available and flagged for your use.For a detailed map, please ask for the Birding Fact Sheet
- Sanctuary picnic area is for the birds...and birders! Limited to foot traffic, enjoy the quiet setting just a short walk from the Northwest Beach parking area. Accessible parking is available.
A Birder needs to eat!
- Birder’s Breakfast and Lunch served May 1-16 on the south side of the Visitor Centre, 7am – 1pm.
- The Cattail Café, at the Marsh Boardwalk, open daily from 10 am – 4 pm.
- Coffee, tea and snacks available at the Nature Nook Gift Store.
- BBQ Lunch hosted by the Friends, May 22-24, 11 am – 2 pm
Special Programs (see calendar for dates and times and registration details)
Birding Hikes are offered daily from May 1-16. Our experienced hike leaders will guide you through birding at Point Pelee. These 2 hour hikes are limited to 12 people ($15/person) - all experience levels are welcome.
Advanced registration is recommended as hikes fill quickly. Register starting March 1, 2010…
*Please note: 24-hour notice is required to receive a refund for hike cancellation. Hike proceeds support the Friends of Point Pelee.Groups larger than 12 may be accommodated with advanced notice.
Daily Hikes in English, May 1-16 at 8:30 am and 1 pm.
Meet at the Birder’s Roost
Daily Hike in French, dates to be announced, start at 8:30 am
Meet at the Birder’s Roost
Twilight Hikes, Wednesday – Sundays, May 5-16
Stroll along the DeLaurier Trail and have a chance to see the American Woodcock courtship display.Pre-registration is required.Hike start times vary – confirm upon pre-registration. Meet and park at the DeLaurier parking lot.
Please dress for the weather and arrive 15-20 minutes prior to your hike start time.
Workshops and Guest Speakers
All presentations and workshops are included with park admission - donations are welcome.
- Birding Basics – May 1, 10, 21, 22, 23 & 24 at 2 pm with Sarah Rupert, Point Pelee National Park
- Warbler Identification – May 4, 11, 16 at 2 pm with Sarah Rupert, Point Pelee National Park
- Little Brown Jobs - Sparrow ID - May 3, 14, & 17 at 2 pm with Sarah Rupert, Point Pelee National Park
- Nature Sketching –May 18, at 2pm with Sarah Rupert, Point Pelee National Park
- Wildflower Walk – May 2, 5, 7, 9, 13 & 19 at 2 pm with John Brownlie, Point Pelee National Park
- Butterfly Walk – May 20 at 2 pm with John Brownlie, Point Pelee National Park
- Raptor ID Workshop – May 8 & 15 at 2 pm with Holiday Beach Migration Observatory
- Adventures in BirdingMay 12 at 2 pm with Paul Pratt, Ojibway Nature Centre
- Action on the Ground – the Changing Point Pelee Landscape –May 6 at 2pm with Jenny Kehoe, Point Pelee National Park
- Digital Photography Workshop – May 22 at 2pm with Ted Kloske, Henry’s Photo
Family Birding Weekend – May 22-24, 2010
Birding is for all ages! Join us for family activities throughout the May holiday weekend
- Family Marsh Hikes daily at 11 am. Learn about the secrets of the Marsh. Meet at the Marsh Boardwalk for a 1-hour tour.
- Wander down the Birding Lane each day between 10 am – 5pm. Meet at the Birder’s Roost to start your self-guided birding adventure.
Challenge yourself to a “Big Day” of birding Saturday, May 8th in celebration of International Migratory Bird Day. Pick up an official entry form at the Visitor Centre and start counting. Participants who return their checklist by May 10th entered in a draw for a prize package! Participants who find 100 species in a day will receive the official “100 species” pin.
The 3-day birding pass is back. This 3 consecutive-day pass allows you access to Point Pelee National Park and Hillman Marsh Conservation Area – the two hottest birding locations around.The pass is valid from May 1 to 24.Passes are available at the Park Entry Kiosk
There are many great birding resources on the Net.
- Looking for daily birding updates across Ontario, then check out ONTBIRDS as www.ofo.ca or for even wider ranging reports, try www.birdingonthe.net
- Want to share your observations and contribute to greater knowledge about North American Birds, then eBird is for you. Create your own eBird account and record your sightings information for anywhere you bird in North America – www.ebird.ca
Park Contact information
Point Pelee National Park
407 Monarch Lane, RR1
Leamington, ON N8H 3V4
Friends of Point Pelee
1118 Point Pelee Drive, RR1
Leamington, ON N8H 3V4