Stormhaven and High Dump are the two backcountry camping areas in Bruce Peninsula National Park. Located along the Bruce Trail on the scenic Georgian Bay shoreline, they offer a tranquil camping experience in a beautiful and remote setting.
Backcountry Camping at Stormhaven campsite© W. Waterton
Reservations | Registration | How to get there | What to expect
Please leave no trace | Your safety | Fees | More information
Reservations are recommended, especially for the peak season (July to early September).
Phone: 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783)
- Registration is required before you leave for the campsites.
- From May 17 to Thanksgiving register at the Cyprus Lake Office
Phone (519) 596-2263.
- When the office is closed, self-register at the kiosk next to the Cyprus office.
How to Get There
Map of Backcountry Camping at Bruce Peninsula National Park
Backcountry campsites are reached by backpacking on the Bruce Trail. The nearest areas to park your car and hike from are:
UTM Coordinates are:
- Cyprus Lake – Overnight Trail Parking
- Halfway Log Dump (Emmett Lake Road)
- Crane Lake Road (Bruce Trail access)
Stormhaven: E460815 N5009640
High Dump: E468097 N5009034
What to Expect
- Each campground has 9 campsites equipped with a wood tent platform.
- Platforms require use of free standing tent.
- There is a shared composting toilet.
- Bring a cook stove. There are no fire pits or open fires allowed.
Please Leave No Trace
- Pack out your garbage.
- Hang food and all scented items on poles to deter bears.
- Campfires are not permitted.
- Wash with biodegradable soap 30m back from the shoreline.
- Water is not provided. Carry in water, or filter or boil bay water for drinking.
- Be careful hiking; this section of Bruce Trail is rugged and slow-going. Rocks are very slippery when wet.
- Share your trip plan with family or friends.
- Pack according to time of year and weather conditions.
$ 9.80 - Camping permit (per person per night)
$11.70 - Overnight parking fee for vehicle.
Reservation fee - $11.00 on-line or $13.50 through the call centre.
For more information:
Phone: (519) 596-2233