Stormhaven and High Dump are the two backcountry camping areas in Bruce Peninsula National Park. Located along the Bruce Trail on the scenic Georgian Bay shoreline, they offer a tranquil camping experience in a beautiful and remote setting.
Backcountry Camping at Stormhaven campsite © W. Waterton
Reservations | Registration | How to get there | What to expect
Please leave no trace | Your safety | Fees | More information
Reservations are recommended, especially for the peak season (July to early September).
Phone: 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783)
Registration - May 1 - October 11, 2015
You require a valid permit issued from Cyprus Lake Office for your campsite. These permits are available during office hours on the date of your arrival.
If you wish to obtain your permit prior to arrival, contact Cyprus Lake Office at 519-596-2263
During the winter camping season (mid-October to April 30) you are required to self-register at the kiosk located at Cyrus Lake Office to ensure space is available.
How to Get There
Map of Backcountry Camping at Bruce Peninsula National Park
Backcountry campsites are reached by backpacking on the Bruce Trail. The nearest areas to park your car and hike from are:
UTM Coordinates are:
- Cyprus Lake – Overnight Trail Parking
- Halfway Log Dump (Emmett Lake Road)
- Crane Lake Road (Bruce Trail access)
Stormhaven: E460815 N5009640
High Dump: E468097 N5009034
What to Expect
- Each campground has 9 campsites equipped with a wood tent platform.
- Platforms require use of free standing tent.
- There is a shared composting toilet.
- Bring a cook stove. No open fires allowed.
Please Leave No Trace
- Pack out your garbage.
- Hang food and all scented items on poles to deter bears.
- Campfires are not permitted.
- Wash with biodegradable soap 30m back from the shoreline.
- Drinking water is not available. Carry your water in or be prepared to filter or boil bay water for drinking.
- Be careful hiking; this section of Bruce Trail is rugged and slow-going. Rocks are very slippery when wet.
- Share your trip plan with family or friends.
- Pack according to time of year and weather conditions.
$ 9.80 - Camping permit (per person per night)
$11.70 - Overnight parking fee for vehicle.
Reservation fee - $11.00 on-line or $13.50 through the call centre.
For more information:
Phone: (519) 596-2233