The Purpose of Tuktut Nogait National Park
The purposes of Tuktut Nogait National Park are laid out in the Tuktut Nogait Agreement. They are to:
Sunset on Akluk Lake © Parks CanadaProtect the Bluenose-West and Bluenose-East caribou herds and the calving and post-calving habitat of the Bluenose-West caribou herd.
- Protect for all time a representative natural area of Canadian significance in the Tundra Hills Natural Region, and to encourage public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the area so as to leave it unimpaired for future generations.
- Enhance co-operation between the Inuvialuit and the Government of Canada and the Government of the Northwest Territories in planning, operating and managing the park.
- Enhance and support local employment and business, and to strengthen the local and regional economies, while making provisions for subsistence usage within the park.
- Encourage greater understanding of and respect for the cultural heritage of the Inuvialuit and the natural environment in which it has evolved.
- Provide a setting in which long-term ecological and cultural heritage research may be undertaken.
- Maintain the ecological integrity of the park and thereby contribute to the maintenance of the ecological integrity of the Inuvialuit Settlement Area as a whole.