Special Events 2014
Live it up at one of Keji’s special events! Immerse yourself and your family in unique and extraordinary celebrations, special programming, and unforgettable experiences with Parks Canada interpreters, local First Nations peoples, artisans, crafters, musicians, and experts.
June 21st - National Aboriginal Day
Join in a celebration of Aboriginal Day at Kejimkujik. Enjoy programming delivered by Parks Canada staff, Acadia First Nation, and All Nations Drum.
July 1st - Canada Day
FREE ADMISSION and FREE CUPCAKES - Official launch of 2014 Xplorers program, the Friends of Keji Photo Contest, and the 2014 Interpretation Programs.
Celebrate the traditions of storytelling with Kejimkujik. On Parks Day, join in the Kejimkujik Storytelling Festival for a day of activities with storytellers and writers.
Happy Birthday Kejimkujik! Celebrate Keji’s 45th birthday with free cupcakes and refreshments. Play the Friends of Keji Birthday Game and enter into "Keji's Got Talent".
© Parks Canada
Join Parks Canada and the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and learn more about the stars, planets, constellations, and galaxies in the night sky and catch some of the Perseid Meteor shower!
Schedule of Special Programming:
Friday, August 15th
- 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. out front of the Visitor Centre: Karl Penney of RASC and his Solar Scope! Observe the Sun with sunspots and prominences! Also, learn more about Dark Sky Weekend activities.
- 7:00 p.m. at the Amphitheatre at P2 in Jeremy's Bay Campground: “Make an Alien” family program with Paul Heath of RASC.
- 8:30 p.m. at the Amphitheatre at P2 in Jeremy's Bay Campground. “Sensational Solar System” – Keji Interpreter, Jennie, takes you on an exciting and fascinating tour through the solar system!
- 10:00 p.m. at the Sky Circle at P1 in Jeremy's Bay Campground: “Night Sky Tour” with Chris Young of RASC and his magic Green Laser Pointer (followed by) public observing with RASC telescopes, weather permitting. Limited Parking! Please walk!
Saturday, August 16th
- 2:00 p.m. the Campfire Circle in Jeremy's Bay Campground: Andrea Misner of RASC “Using your StarFinder to find Stars, Constellations, and Planets,” for all ages, StarFinders supplied.
- 2:00-4:00 p.m. out front of the Visitor Centre Karl Penney of RASC and his Solar Scope! Observe the Sun with sunspots and prominences!
- 8:00 p.m. at the Amphitheatre at P2 in Jeremy's Bay Campground: Keynote Presentation by Mary Lou Whitehorn: “This Amazing Place”
- 9:30 p.m. at the Sky Circle at P1 in Jeremy’s Bay Campground: “Muin and the Seven Bird Hunters” a Mi’kmaw dark sky legend presented by Kejimkujik Interpretation. Limited Parking! Please walk!
- 10:00 p.m. at the Sky Circle at P1 in Jeremy's Bay Campground: Drop-in public observing with RASC and Parks Canada telescopes, weather permitting. Limited Parking! Please walk!
Sunday, August 17th
- 9:00 p.m.” Sentinels of Time” Join Brigid and Crann Feá for a magical exploration of the night at the Farmlands Trail. Sign-up required. Sign up at the Visitor Centre or by calling 902-682-2772. Meet at Farmlands Trail. Please bring your own blanket.
- 9:30 p.m. at the Sky Circle at P1 in Jeremy's Bay Campground: RAIN DATE/CLOUD DATE for Drop-in public observing with RASC telescopes weather permitting.
*Regular admission fees apply.
*For more information, call (902) 682-2772.
Enjoy a fun-filled weekend of canoeing and kayaking demonstrations, clinics, and activities. Presented with Canoe/Kayak Nova Scotia.
Scedule of Events:
Saturday, August 23rd
- Various Paddling Activities: 10 am – 4 pm at Jake’s Landing
- BIG Canoe Paddle: 6 pm at Jake’s Landing
- Film Waterwalker: 8 pm at the Amphitheatre
- Dark Sky Telescope Viewing: 9:30 pm at the Sky Circle
Sunday, August 24th
- Sunrise Paddle: 5:30 am at Merrymakedge Beach
- Paddling Flotilla/Launch of Birch Bark Canoe: 9:30 am at Jake’s Landing
- Arrival of Flotilla and Drumming: 10:30 am at Kedge Beach
- Paddling Safety Clinics: afternoon at Jake’s Landing
*Regular admission fees apply.
*For more information, call (902) 682-2772
September 6th – International Observe the Moon Night
Celebrate the moon by observing it and learning about it with Keji Interpreters.
October 8th - Tepknuset /Hunter’s Moon Celebration
Immerse yourself into the spiritual and physical excitement of the hunt when the full moon rises in early October. Presented in partnership with Acadia First Nation.
October 10-13th - Thanksgiving Weekend at Kejimkujik
Enjoy the brilliant colours of fall and the annual pumpkin carving contest, haunted hikes, and take a dip at the annual Cold Turkey Swim.
In the community: