Fishing in Terra Nova National Park
A park entry permit and a national park fishing permit are required to fish in Terra Nova National Park. Fishing permits are $9.80 daily or $34.30 for the season. For clarification of these or any other regulations, please call the park at 709-533-2801.
All park waters (see below for exceptions) are open from May 19 to August 16, 2015
- Northwest River *
- Rocky Pond
- Big Pond Watershed, including Big Pond, Minchin Pond and Minchin Brook.
- Blue Hill Pond
- Yuddle Pond: Retention of brook trout under eight inches total length is prohibited
Types of Angling Permitted:
- Brooks and streams: artificial fly fishing only
- Ponds and lake: artificial fly as well as bait and spinner fishing
Daily Catch and Possession Limits:
- Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) 10
- All other species 0
2. Salmon Fishing
Northwest River Recreational Salmon Fishery Set for 2015
A limited recreational salmon fishery on the Northwest River is scheduled to take place between June 1st and September 7th, 2015.
In order to provide fair and equitable access to the 150 recreational licences available, a random draw system will be used again in 2015. Applicants may enter their name in the draw starting Wednesday, April 15th by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 709-543-2220. The phone line will be staffed Monday to Friday, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements for holding a Newfoundland and Labrador salmon licence and are required to provide their full name and mailing address as well as their phone number and/or email address. All applicants must register between 8:30 AM on Wednesday, April 15th and 4:30 PM on Tuesday, May 5th, 2015. Names received before or after these dates will not be entered into the draw.
3. Ice Fishing
A park entry permit and a national park fishing permit are required for ice fishing in Terra Nova National Park. Ice fishing is available at Dunphy's Pond only from February 21 to March 22, 2015. Fishing permits are $9.80 daily or $34.30 for the season. For further information, please call the park at 709-533-2801.
4. General Fishing Regulations
- You may not leave your fishing line unattended
- Jigging or foul hooking (snagging) is illegal
- It is unlawful to posses tailers or gaff hooks
- It is unlawful to fish a line having more than one artificial fly or other type of bait
- Fishing tackle cannot be capable of catching more than one fish at a time
- You cannot use a lure that has more than two single hooks or two gang hooks, or a single hook and one gang hook. Gang hooks cannot have more than three hooks on them
- It is unlawful to fish with an artificial fly attached to a spinning device or natural bait
- Fishing is prohibited during the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise the following day
- It is unlawful to fish from bridges in Terra Nova National Park of Canada
- It is unlawful to fish with lead sinkers or lead jigs. Lead is poisonous. Loons and ducks that eat the split shot will die.
- Anyone under the age of 16 may fish in the national parks without a permit if accompanied by a permit holder 16 years of age or older. However, their catch is then included within the permit holder’s daily limit. They may also purchase their own permit and be entitled to the full catch limit.