Terra Nova National Park of Canada
Fishing in Terra Nova National Park
Fishing at Headquarters Wharf © Parks Canada, Dale Wilson
A park entry permit and a national park fishing permit are required to fish in Terra Nova National Park. Fishing permits are $9.80 daily or $34.30 for the season. For information on entry permit fees, please click here . The following is a summary of fishing regulations in effect for 2009. For clarification of these or any other regulations, please call the park at 709-533-2801.
All park waters (see below for exceptions) are open from May 16 to August 16, 2009
- Northwest River *
- Rocky Pond
- Big Pond Watershed, including Big Pond, Minchin Pond and Minchin Brook.
- Blue Hill Pond
- Yuddle Pond: Retention of brook trout under nine inches total length is prohibited
Types of Angling Permitted:
- Brooks and streams: artificial fly fishing only
- Ponds and lake: artificial fly as well as bait and spinner fishing
Daily Catch and Possession Limits:
- Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) 10
- All other species 0
2. Salmon Fishing
*Salmon fishing is permitted in Northwest River under specific conditions only. The decision to open or close this river will be based on an in-season review of salmon returns. Please contact the park at 709-533-2801 to inquire about the status of this river. Provincial salmon fishing dates are from June to September. If park waters open it will be during that time. A park entry permit, a national park fishing licence and national park salmon licence are required to salmon fish in the park. The national park salmon licence is free and is available at Northwest River. For information on entry permit fees, please click here . The daily catch and possession limit is 1 salmon per day, 2 per season. For further information, please call the park at 709-533-2801.
3. Ice Fishing
A park entry permit and a national park fishing permit are required for ice fishing in Terra Nova National Park. Ice fishing is available at Dunphy's Pond only from February 16 to March 24, 2013. Fishing permits are $9.80 daily or $34.30 for the season. For information on entry permit fees, please click here . For further information, please call the park at 709-533-2801.
4. General Fishing Regulations
- You may not leave your fishing line unattended
- Jigging or foul hooking (snagging) is illegal
- It is unlawful to posses tailers or gaff hooks
- It is unlawful to fish a line having more than one artificial fly or other type of bait
- Fishing tackle cannot be capable of catching more than one fish at a time
- You cannot use a lure that has more than two single hooks or two gang hooks, or a single hook and one gang hook. Gang hooks cannot have more than three hooks on them
- It is unlawful to fish with an artificial fly attached to a spinning device or natural bait
- Fishing is prohibited during the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise the following day
- It is unlawful to fish from bridges in Terra Nova National Park of Canada
- It is unlawful to fish with lead sinkers or lead jigs. Lead is poisonous. Loons and ducks that eat the split shot will die.
- Anyone under the age of 16 may fish in the national parks without a permit if accompanied by a permit holder 16 years of age or older. However, their catch is then included within the permit holder’s daily limit. They may also purchase their own permit and be entitled to the full catch limit.