Backcountry Winter Camping
Petit-Large is open year round. Located along the cross-country ski trails. Trail conditions can vary and are updated on a regular basis. Click here for the Trail Condition Report.
Campers must register before going to the site by contacting the attendant during hours of operation.
IMPORTANT: Petit-Large primitive campground is located ½ km from the closest shelter and over 3 km from the parking lot. Available on site: fire pit & firewood, dry toilets, shovel, picnic tables. There is no water available at the Petit-Large primitive campsite.
Cross Country Ski Equipment Rental
Cross-country skiing equipment is available for rent at the waxing hut, 5 days a week, Thursday to Monday through AMICA, the Parks Coop Association.
In order to help you transport your material to the site a toboggan on skis is available at the waxing hut. Ask the park attendant on duty at the waxing hut.
For Your Safety
- Remember that you are responsible for your own safety and security!
- In case of an accident or emergency call 911. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have to wait for help if you have an accident.
- Cell phone coverage is not available everywhere. Pay phones are located at Pijeboogwek and at the visitor reception centre.
- Avoid hypothermia and frostbites by dressing appropriately. Be prepared for rapidly changing weather conditions. Check air temperature and wind chill factor before skiing.
- Make sure to tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return. Stay on designated trails.
- Check ice conditions before crossing rivers and estuaries.
Winter Activities Menu