Hours, Facilities and Services
Visitor Centre © Parks Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park is open year round.
Our peak visitor season is during July and August. If you are planning a trip to Waterton during these months, be sure to book your accommodation in advance. From late fall to early spring, most park facilities are closed and few services are available. Most services are located in the community.
There are eight hotels, several restaurants and lounges, a variety of church services, one fuel station, camping supplies, groceries, pool and spa facilities, bank machines, gift shops, tennis courts, playgrounds, a post office, launderette and theatre.
Interpretive guides, bicycle rentals, golf course, horse stables, boat tours on Upper Waterton Lake and canoe or rowboat rentals at Cameron Lake are also available.
See our A-Z of Activities in Waterton Lakes National Park.
For further information, contact the Waterton Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Association
Dates of Operation - 2016
|Park Facilities and Services||When Open (subject to weather)|
||Year round, variable hours.|
||Year round, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Visitor Information Centre
- May 7 to June 23, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- June 24 to September 5, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- September 6 to October 10, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 2 to September 5 - if weather allows. Campground will be on self-registration to mid-October. Visitors may camp there later as weather allows, but water/sewer will be shut off.
- September 6 to October 9 - A, C, D, E, F, and G will be closed and under construction. B and H may be on self-registration.
|Crandell Mountain Campground
||May 20 to September 5 (Campground only open weekends, Friday and Saturday nights, until June 20. No reservations at this campground).|
||July 1-August 31.|
|Belly River Campground
||May 12 to September 30 (subject to weather).|
|Pass Creek - winter campground
||October 31 to April 29 (open once Townsite Campground closes)|
- Belly River Campground, group camp, April 1
- Townsite Campground, January 15 (for reservations May 14 to September 11).
- Crandell Tipis, May 14.
- Backcountry, three months prior.
|Red Rock Parkway - including picnic sites
||First weekend in May to September 5 (2015 & 2016 only). Subject to construction projects in spring and fall.|
Akamina Parkway (entire road)
Akamina Parkway (to Little Prairie Picnic Area only)
First weekend in May to October 31 (subject to weather).
November 1 to first weekend in May.
|Chief Mountain Highway - including picnic sites
- First weekend in May to September 30 (Chief Mountain border crossing opens May 15).
- October 1 - December 31 (no maintenance - Three Flags to Belly River bridge, remaining portion closed from Belly River bridge.
- January 1 - first weekend in May (no maintenance - from junction highway 5&6 to highway closure at Belly River bridge).
|Heritage Centre (operated by the Waterton Natural History Association)
||May 15 - September 20.|
|Park Interpretive Programs
||July 1 - September 3 (theatre programs, guided hikes, various walks, activities).|
The nearby communities of Pincher Creek, Cardston, Mountain View and Twin Butte also offer a variety of services including hotels, motels, bed and breakfast and ranch vacations.