Hours, Facilities and Services
Visitor Centre © Parks Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park is open year round.
Our peak visitor season is during July and August. If you are planning a trip to Waterton during these months, be sure to book your accommodation in advance. From late fall to early spring, most park facilities are closed and few services are available. Most services are located in the community.
There are eight hotels, several restaurants and lounges, a variety of church services, one fuel station, camping supplies, groceries, pool and spa facilities, bank machines, gift shops, tennis courts, playgrounds, a post office, launderette and theatre.
Interpretive guides, bicycle rentals, golf course, horse stables, boat tours on Upper Waterton Lake and canoe or rowboat rentals at Cameron Lake are also available.
See our A-Z of Activities in Waterton Lakes National Park.
For further information, contact the Waterton Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Association
Dates of Operation - 2016
|Park Facilities and Services||When Open (subject to weather)|
||Year round, variable hours.|
||Year round, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Visitor Information Centre
- May 7 to June 23, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- June 24 to September 5, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- September 6 to October 10, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 2 to October 9 - if weather allows. Campground will be on self-registration to mid-October. Visitors may camp there later as weather allows, but water/sewer will be shut off.
|Crandell Mountain Campground
||May 20 to September 5 (No reservations at this campground).|
||July 1 to August 24.|
|Belly River Campground
||May 12 to September 30 (subject to weather).|
|Pass Creek (winter campground)
||October 31 to April 29 (open once Townsite Campground closes).|
- Belly River Campground, group camp, April 1.
- Townsite Campground, January 15 (for reservations May 14 to September 11).
- Crandell Tipis, May 14.
- Backcountry, three months prior.
|Red Rock Parkway, including picnic sites
||First weekend in May to October 31.|
Akamina Parkway (entire road)
Akamina Parkway (to Little Prairie Picnic Area only)
Closed until November 2016.
Due to the construction at Cameron Lake Day-Use Area, the Akamina Parkway is closed to all traffic, including pedestrians and cyclists. Parks Canada is providing a complimentary shuttle service for hikers to access trails along the Akamina Parkway. Available by reservation only, the shuttle runs from June 16 to September 18, 2016.
November 1 to first weekend in May.
|Chief Mountain Highway, including picnic sites
- First weekend in May to September 30 (Chief Mountain border crossing opens May 15). Repairs along Chief Mountain Highway will continue until further notice, working from north to south.
- October 1 - December 31 (no maintenance from Three Flags viewpoint to Belly River Bridge, remaining section of highway closed from Belly River Bridge).
- January 1 - first weekend in May (no maintenance from junction with Highway 5&6 to highway closure at Belly River Bridge).
|Heritage Centre (operated by the Waterton Natural History Association)
||May 15 to September 20.|
|Park Interpretive Programs
||June 26 to August 30, plus Labour Day weekend (theatre programs, guided hikes, family activities, drop-in programs).|
The nearby communities of Pincher Creek, Cardston, Mountain View and Twin Butte also offer a variety of services including hotels, motels, bed and breakfast and ranch vacations.