Hours, facilities and services
Visitor Centre © Parks Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park is open year round.
Our peak visitor season is during July and August. If you are planning a trip to Waterton during these months, be sure to book your accommodation in advance. From late fall to early spring, most park facilities are closed and few services are available. Most services are located in the community.
There are eight hotels, several restaurants and lounges, a variety of church services, one fuel station, camping supplies, groceries, pool and spa facilities, bank machines, gift shops, tennis courts, playgrounds, a post office, launderette and theatre.
Interpretive guides, bicycle rentals, golf course, horse stables, boat tours on Upper Waterton Lake and canoe or rowboat rentals at Cameron Lake are also available.
See our A-Z of Activities in Waterton Lakes National Park.
For further information, contact the Waterton Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Association
2017 dates of operation
|Park Facilities and Services||When Open (subject to weather)|
||Year round, variable hours.|
||Year round, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Visitor information centre
- May 7 to June 23, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- June 24 to September 5, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- September 6 to October 10, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- April 14 to October 9, if weather allows. The campground will be on self-registration in April and October. Visitors may camp there later as weather allows, but water/sewer will be shut off.
|Crandell Mountain Campground
||May 18 to September 4 (no reservations at this campground).|
||July 1 to August 25.|
|Belly River Campground
||May 12 to September 25.|
|Pass Creek (winter campground)
||October 31 to April 15 (open once Townsite Campground closes).|
- Belly River Campground, group camp, April 1.
- Townsite Campground, January 12 (for reservations May 13 to September 10).
- Crandell Tipis, May 13.
- Backcountry, three months prior.
|Red Rock Parkway, including picnic sites
||First weekend in May to October 31.|
Akamina Parkway (entire road)
Akamina Parkway (to Little Prairie Picnic Area only)
First weekend in May to October 31.
November 1 to first weekend in May.
|Chief Mountain Highway, including picnic sites
- First weekend in May to September 30 (Chief Mountain border crossing opens May 15).
- October 1 - first weekend in May: no maintenance south of junction with Highway 5 and 6.
|Heritage Centre (operated by Waterton Natural History Association)
||May 15 to September 20.|
The nearby communities of Pincher Creek, Cardston, Mountain View and Twin Butte also offer a variety of services including hotels, motels, bed and breakfast and ranch vacations.