Banana Oatmeal with Grilled Apples © Parks Canada
Banana Oatmeal with Grilled Apples
Makes: 2-4 servings, depending on how hungry you are
2 cups | 500 ml boiling water
1 cup | 250 ml porridge oats
½ cup | 125 ml powdered milk
A pinch of salt
1 chopped or mashed banana
2 tbsp | 30 ml maple syrup, honey or brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sugar
Before your trip
Premix the oats, powdered milk and salt and put in a resealable bag.
At your campsite
Boil the 2 cups water in your saucepan on your camping stove. Add the oat mixture and stir. Add the banana and maple syrup and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the oatmeal is simmering, heat up a cast iron frying pan over medium heat. Slice your apple thinly in rings, straight through the core. Once your pan is hot, add the butter. When the butter is melted, place the apple rounds into your pan. Sprinkle the tops of the apples with sugar. Cook the apples until they are a lovely golden colour, flip them and then cook the other side—the sugar will help caramelize them.
Dish out the oatmeal into two or three bowls, garnish with the sliced apples and enjoy!
- This is a great way to use up a banana that might have gotten squished in your backpack
- You could add any leftover dried fruit (cranberries, dates, raisins) to the oatmeal.
- If you are using brown sugar for the oatmeal, you could add this to your dry ingredients bag before you leave home.
- The apples could also be cooked in foil (with the butter and sugar) in your fire embers.
- There is no need for milk or cream with this delicious oatmeal!