A refreshing summer drink!
Origin: Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
Region: Atlantic (Nova Scotia)
Period: 19th Century
Course: Beverages and Other
Photo of the Silver Dart
© Parks Canada
After the first successful flight of the Silver Dart, pictured above, on February 23rd, 1909, a jubilant Alexander Graham Bell invited everyone back to his home to celebrate over sandwiches and one of his favourite drinks, Raspberry Vinegar, which was made with the wild raspberries that grow abundantly on Cape Breton Island.
- 2 cans | 700 ml frozen raspberry juice concentrate
- 2 quarts | 2 litres water
- 3½ fl oz | 100 ml lemon juice
- 2 cans | 700 ml frozen lemonade concentrate.
- 2 quarts | 2 litres soda water
- 1 cup | 200 g whole frozen raspberries
- In a large jug mix together the frozen raspberry juice concentrate, water, lemon juice and lemonade concentrate. Just before serving, add the soda water and frozen raspberries. Serve cold.
Recipe tested by Chef David Fairbanks, Algonquin College School of Hospitality and Tourism
This traditional recipe was submitted by Parks Canada staff at Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site.