Fort Battleford National Historic Site of Canada

On-line Guided Tour

Fort Battleford National Historic Site of Canada

Visitor Information

On-line Guided Tour

alt

©Parks Canada

The North West Mounted Police was created in 1873 to bring law and order to the Prairies. The NWMP established Fort Battleford at the junction of the Battle and North Saskatchewan rivers, an area rich in Aboriginal and fur trade history. When Fort Battleford was constructed as a NWMP post in 1876, the town was designated as the capital of the newly created North West Territories. The capital was soon moved to Regina, but the post at Fort Battleford was to play an important role in the settlement of the west.