Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux
National Historic Site of Canada
Pierre Cloutier and Jacques Guimont – Archaeologists
Outbuildings in the yard in front of the château
After the demolition of the ramparts of Champlain's second fort, the governors in power between 1648 and 1660 made significant changes to the yard in front of the château. Among other things found, there are:
- Remains of a building which housed a bakery, in the northern yard
- Significant signs of the presence of a temporary blacksmith shop, in the southern yard.
In the last years of the French regime, a wooden water transmission conduit was installed in the southern part of the front yard.
Remains of the building which housed a bakery between 1648 and 1660© Parks Canada / J. Jacob