Common menu bar links

Management Plan

Agriculture Canada (research and training station, animal quarantine)

From 1957, the veterinary pathology division of the Department of Agriculture occupied Grosse Île during the summer, conducting animal disease research and running training programs for personnel. These activities came to an end in 1988 when part of the virology laboratory burned down. In 1965, the Department of Agriculture’s Contagious Diseases Division started using the island as a quarantine station for imported livestock.


Commemorative integrity of the site

Commemorative intent
Resources symbolizing or representing the national significance of Grosse Île
Grosse Île and its cultural landscapes
On-site cultural resources
Movable cultural resources
Messages of national historic significance
Messages for the Canadian public
Messages for visitors to the site
Communication challenges
Other heritage values of the site
Precontact dimension of Grosse Île
Earliest settlers and agricultural use of the island before the quarantine station period
The Canadian Forces (1942-1945, 1951-1956)
Agriculture Canada (research and training station, animal quarantine)
International, national and regional links
Outstanding natural surroundings