Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site
A Bit of History... About the Museum
The Cartier House, Notre-Dame Street, after 1818
© Cultural Service City of Montréal / Georges Delfosse (1869-1939) / circa 1917
This historic site commemorating Sir George-Étienne Cartier (1814-1873), has been opened to the public since 1985. Cartier's family residences are located
at the north-eastern edge of the historic district of Old Montreal.
In 1964, as part of a policy to commemorate the Fathers of Confederation, the Historic
Sites and Monuments Board of Canada declared that the houses on Notre-Dame Street, which had been the residences of Sir George-Étienne Cartier and his family,
were of national significance.
Parks Canada purchased them in 1973 and established a research program to learn more about the times, life and work of this illustrious
figure and the features of his Montreal residences. Inaugurated 23 years ago, Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site houses
thematic exhibits on Cartier's career, his role as a Father of Confederation, legislator and business man, and a Victorian interior meticulously recreated
in the spirit of the 1860's.
Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site's Management Plan (PDF 4.35 Mb)