Lachine Canal National Historic Site of Canada
The Lachine Lock Sector
Entrance to the canal at Lachine© Parks Canada / Normand Rajotte / 2002
This is where work to rebuild the canal started in 1998. The restoration of Lock No. 5 north, dating from the first widening of the canal in 1843-1848, was completed in 2001. A visitor services centre now stands on the island separating the two locks. An interpretation all around lets visitors visualize the evolution of the locks and structures marking the upstream entrance to the canal.