2016 Hours of Operation
May 20 to June 26
Monday to Thursday 10:00am – 4:00pm
Friday to Sunday; and Victoria Day 9:00am – 7:00pm June 27 to Sept 5
Monday to Thursday 9:00am – 6:00pm
Friday to Sunday; and Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day 9:00am – 7:00pm Sept 6 to Oct 10
Monday to Friday 10:00am – 4:00pm
Saturday - Sunday; and Thanksgiving 9:00am – 5:00pmNOTE:
Lockstations are unstaffed after hours. Authorized visitors are asked to exercise caution. Unpermitted access to lockstations is prohibited between 10pm and 6am. For emergencies after hours, please call 911 for police, fire, ambulance. To report illegal harvesting of fish or wildlife, please call the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry TIPS line at 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)
LAST LOCKAGE - IMPORTANT
Follow these guidelines to maximize chances of being locked through at the end of the day:
- All vessels must arrive at the designated blue zone at least 30 minutes before closing time.
- At swing bridges, the last bridge swing will be 20 minutes prior to closing time.
Tips for a Successful Journey
- New to Boating? Talk to our friendly lock staff for tips and information on locking through safely. Have fun!
- Station opening and closing times, as well as first and last lockage, are not guaranteed and may be affected by water management duties, maintenance activities or other types of navigation interruptions.
- Seasonal overnight mooring permits are also valid for use at Thousand Islands National Park, Georgian Bay Islands National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Conservation Area (boaters using a campsite must also pay a camping fee)
Maximum Overnight Mooring Periods
- 5 Nights - Locks 1 to 18
- 2 Nights - All other locks, Murray Canal swing bridges and bridge #50.
- Lock 6 offers electrical hook ups and showers (nearby); Lock 34 offers electrical and water hook ups.
Overnight Mooring passes include one free camp site.
Nautical charts can be purchased during the navigation season at Locks 1, 18, 36, 42 and 45, or at the Peterborough Lift Lock Visitor Centre Gift Shop.
Murray Canal - Commercial Vessels
Commercial cargo vessels may request off season passage through the Murray Canal until the first Friday of November by writing the Southern Sector Manager, Trent–Severn Waterway, Box 850, Campbellford, ON K0L 1L0 or by phoning 705-653-3240.
At least 24 hours notice is required and a fee is charged for this service. Murray Canal swing bridges monitor VHF Channel 14 only during navigation season hours of operation.
Big Chute Marine Railway - Vessel Weight Capacity
Operators whose vessels weigh more than 68t (75 tons), have a peculiar hull configuration or who foresee problems lifting the hull by sling, must contact Trent–Severn Waterway at 705-756-8802 at least 48 hours in advance of trip.
CN Swing Bridge above Lock 42
Expect delays at this bridge. Trains are frequent and have priority over vessel traffic. Clearance when bridge closed is approximately 3.96 m (13 ft.).