Planners Technical Advisory Group - Terms of Reference
In September 2009, a Governance Model for the Rideau Corridor Landscape Strategy (the Strategy) was developed by Rideau Corridor municipal staff and elected officials, the Algonquins of Ontario, Parks Canada, the National Capital Commission, the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority and the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority. A Planners Technical Advisory Group was identified as part of the Governance Model and in June 2010, this group was formed and endorsed by the Strategy Steering Committee.
Mission Statement for the Planners Group
To provide the Steering Committee with the technical advice required to assist with the achievement of Strategy Goals and Anticipated Outcomes of the Steering Committee (outlined in the Steering Committee Terms of Reference).
Composition and Membership
Membership for the Planners Group is representative of each Municipality and County along the Rideau Corridor and other parties with an influence on planning and development along the Corridor. Most members play a planning role in their respective organizations which enabled a simple method for selecting the appropriate players for the Planners Group. A full list of represented organizations is included below.
- Tay Valley Township
- Municipality of North Grenville
- Town of Smiths Falls
- Township of Rideau Lakes
- Township of Montague
- Lanark County
- Town of Perth
- United Counties of Leeds and Grenville
- City of Ottawa
- City of Kingston
- Township of Drummond North Elmsley
- Township of South Frontenac
- Village of Merrickville-Wolford
- Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority
- Village of Westport
- Parks Canada
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- Province of Ontario: Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Frontenac County
A chair and alternate chair shall be selected from within the members of the Planners Technical Advisory Group. The term shall be determined by the Group. The chair and/or alternate chair shall report to the Steering Committee as required.
Roles of the Planners Group
The Planners Group will:
- Provide technical advice to the Steering Committee as required.
- Ensure timely communications with the Steering Committee regarding progress, opportunities or issues with their RCLS work. The Chair will act as the communications link between the Planners Group and the Steering Committee.
- Make decisions on recommendations to the Steering Committee through simple voting.
- Ensure their respective organizations are kept informed about Strategy progress.
- Act as ambassadors to the Strategy by communicating goals/objective/progress on the Strategy.
- Provide the necessary administration for the group to function effectively: convene meetings when appropriate, organize meeting venues, set agendas, keep meeting records.
Responsibilities of the Steering Committee
The Steering Committee will:
- Guide the progress of the Planners Group by giving clear and concise direction on what work or information is required.
- Provide adequate and timely feedback on any work produced or questions raised by the Planners Group.
Meetings will be held as determined by the Chair or the group. Meeting locations will be decided on a case by case basis and any associated costs will be shared by organizations represented in the Planners Group.