Common menu bar links

Rideau Canal National Historic Site of Canada

The History of the Rideau Canal


Specifications of the Lockstation:

Two locks with a lift of 13 feet each.

The Construction of the Lockstation:

Lockstaff open lock gates at Beveridges Lockstation Lockstaff open lock gates at Beveridges Lockstation
©Parks Canada / Rideau Canal / Steve Weir

The construction of a lockstation at Beveridges Bay, connecting the Tay River and the Rideau River, was not part of the original plan for the Rideau Canal. The project was completed in 1891 as a result of considerable pressure on the federal government from merchants and manufacturers in the Perth area. Many years earlier the Tay Navigational Company had built the privately-operated Tay Canal to connect Perth by water to Kingston and Bytown (Ottawa). It was an unsuccessful venture and eventually fell into disuse but the economic growth of the area prompted its residents to think again of the value of a water route for transporting their products.

The Structures of the Lockstation:

Engineering Structures: An artificial channel was dug to connect Lower Rideau Lake and the Tay River. Two locks were then built at the Beveridges Lockstation, in conjunction with a dam and waste weir.